Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning Cause Hotter Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Tuning Cause Hotter Cat?

Since installing a SESPT and a stage 1 air cleaner I put on a new set of slip-on mufflers then promptly ran some smart tune runs to fine tune the ECM on my 2013 Glide. I noticed the right muffler next to the cat was starting to turn brown/gold with in 1500 miles. Some say this is "normal" others claim it is still running lean. The bike is running great.

The manufacturer claimed it is probably caused by the stage 1 upgrade adding more fuel which causes the cat to burn hotter. They also claim the slip ons are designed to work best with the factory tuning and air cleaner. Even then they stepped up to the plate and sent me a new and improved set of slip ons which are supposed to resist colouring. The consensus here is to add more fuel to cool the engine down which in the manufacturers opinion would make the cat hotter.

My thought at first was to add more fuel in the cruise range but still keep the tune in closed loop. Even though it wouldn't add much fuel this would make the cat even hotter according the manufactures advice. It is my opinion the cruise range is where the bike is causing the slip ons to discolour since this is where the bike is ran most of the time.

I do get some minor pinging at cruise speed under slight load, which I'm also told is normal, but could also tribute to higher exhaust temps. I have since retarded the timing by a few degrees in the cruise range although I have not had the opportunity to ride it since winter has set in.

I'm just looking for some opinions from the more knowledgeable people here on how to prevent this from happening again. I know the best fix is to remove the cat or add a header pipe but my intention was always to try to add the stage 1 while keeping the cat.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Nedstark
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you could try to record (not a smartune...just a recording) with your actual tune, and then compare the engine t°with another setup, adding more fuel in your cruising range....
(i'm french...maybe i'm not clear at all....tell me if you don't understand)

My thought at first is, if it overheated.....then you are lean.....

Last edited by Nedstark; 01-10-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Nedstark
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i ordered some gaskets to my dealer today..and i asked him what about tuning my bike before i get my air cleaner...just to avoid overheat....

he told me it could turn my exhaust blue because of the cat...

So maybe its true....

i don't know anymore.....

Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

'smart tuning' is not tuning in the strictest sense, it is simply using built-in software to adjust to some general preset criteria. A dyno tune at a suitably competent tuning shop will identify if there is any actual problem and set your bike up to give you optimum performance.