Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

back fire on down shifting, pop,burbull,pop

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default back fire on down shifting, pop,burbull,pop

I have a 07 road king seac and Samson mufflers and a stage one down load from the dealer my bike back fires when I down shift it also gets worse when the bike gets hot. I could understand a small pop once and a wile. When I down shift it will back fire many times pop,burbull,pop,pop,burbull,burbull,pop,pop,burbul l,burbull,burbull. I ask the dealer if this is normal he said because I have the Samson mufflers on and they are more free flowing will the screaming eagle mufflers make it so my bike will not back fire.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 PM
dragrsm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: back fire on down shifting, pop,burbull,pop

Your decell fuel needs to be adjusted. You have several choices for fuel management on the 2007 models with closed loop injection. PCIII, Thundermax, & SERT to name a few. Find a good tuner who knows what he's doing and have them sort it out.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The same exact thing used to happen to my 03 fuel injected Night Train until I installed a PCIII.

I can't believe how good the bike is running now! I couldn't get a pop on deceleration if I tried! [sm=smiley20.gif]

There are lots of options to choose from to tune your bike.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I all ready been there I have put two PC3 and have them both dyno tune by two different tuners when I use the pc3 my bike runs great but it still back fires and pings when I give it gas I gave up on the pc 3 it is to bad I like the pc3. I was able to get rid of some of back fire by increasing the 0 cells by 20% but the pinging still was there.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you have an exhaust leak. Always check the exhaust for leaks FIRST before "retuning".

Does one cylinder do the popping more than the other? Start with that one. Even if you just put slip-ons on - don't be afraid to check the nuts on the cyliner head for tightness too. Let the bike get warmed up - then, CAREFULLY, so as not to get burned, move your hand around the joint where the mufflers connect to the pipe and/or do the same up by the heads. If you feel air - you'll need to get THAT resolved before you do ANY tuning.

IMO - you should have practically zero popping/backfiring on deadcel. A snap/pop every great once in awhile - ok. But if you can get to the point where you can predict how frequent its gonna do it - you've got a problem & should fix it. Some say "such & such pipes just pop - nothing you can do about it". That's BS and a way to make the customer "go away" sometimes.

If the dealer put these pipes on for you - insist they take a closer look at it and find where its leaking.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

With my Cycle Shacks on my '07 1200 Sporty on my self-modified canned map (not yet broken in to put it on a dyno) I had 15 at 0% and and still had popping so Iadded 15 at 2% (from 1500 to 4000 rpm) and now no more popping....