Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM TSSM replaceed and no spark??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 AM
gerry_bc
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM TSSM replaceed and no spark??

I just bought a used matching set of the ecm and tssm for my 2005 superglide and had them shipped to the Philippines. I have installed them and no spark whatsoever. The salvage yard said it was a running bike with no key fob (deactivated). Can someone please help me with the codes? Nothing seems to work, thanks in advance for helping..

Old 04-02-2016, 05:20 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Could be a number of things causing the issue
HD's tssm comes in two main versions which relates to how it is positioned on the bike.
One is for bikes with them positioned vertically and the other, like yours, is for those positioned horizontally. As the tssm has a bank angle function in it, if you have the wrong one, this would prevent spark....it should, however also display "tip" in the speedo display. If you look in the corner of the sticker on your old tssm, you will see a two digit reference ending in either a Y or a Z...this is what denotes the correct version for your bike. I could be wrong but believe Z is for your bike.
Compare that with your new tssm.

It could also be that the matched units you've been supplied aren't "married" even though they said they were matched.....but typically when you try to start the bike in those circumstances, it will run for a couple of revolutions and then cut out which indicates a password learn procedure is required.

Although the ECM and tssm are a matched pair. Are they compatible with your model...What bike did they come off of?

And also, it could obviously be that there is a fault regardless of what the supplier says in the units you bought.

You do know that you have to have another set of plugs in the heads to see spark?

Have you checked for trouble codes?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lear-them.html

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
gerry_bc (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

If the TSM/TSSM is tipped, the bike will not even crank. It will only display "tIP" on 2004 and later.

Absolutely no spark? I would ask how this was determined. If you had the plugs out, it will not spark - it needs to see slowdown of the flywheel to determine cylinder phase and throw spark. That's why the comment above states to have another set of plugs in. I just use an inline spark tester.

Why did you replace ECM and TSM - it wasn't due to no spark was it? If you could provide any history that would be great.

Have you checked all the fuses?

gerry_bc (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 AM
gerry_bc
5th Gear

Gentlemen... so many thanks. The ecm and tsm were stolen from the bike (along with a lot of other parts) while I was out of country and in Canada. The set I bought from Ebay were from a very, 99% positive supplier. They answered my email asking if the bike came with a fob (bike was a salvage front end wreck). They said no and forwarded a 15 second video of the wreck running off the key only. The bike was a 2005 dyna like mine.
Both tms have the same Y letter and the ecm on both have the same HD part number.
Now that I put a set of plugs in I have spark (idiot me). I have run the codes, cleared what I can. I have done the 30 min reset, no luck. The bike will fire with a shot of gas down the manifold. The problem now is no fuel delivery. No power to fuel pump with key on ignition. Thanks again for your input..Gerry

Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by gerry_bc
Gentlemen... so many thanks. The ecm and tsm were stolen from the bike (along with a lot of other parts) while I was out of country and in Canada. The set I bought from Ebay were from a very, 99% positive supplier. They answered my email asking if the bike came with a fob (bike was a salvage front end wreck). They said no and forwarded a 15 second video of the wreck running off the key only. The bike was a 2005 dyna like mine.
Both tms have the same Y letter and the ecm on both have the same HD part number.
Now that I put a set of plugs in I have spark (idiot me). I have run the codes, cleared what I can. I have done the 30 min reset, no luck. The bike will fire with a shot of gas down the manifold. The problem now is no fuel delivery. No power to fuel pump with key on ignition. Thanks again for your input..Gerry
Did you check the fuses?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Did you check the fuses?
Looks like there's dual threads on this running in same forum

Old 04-10-2016, 04:03 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

You are aware that at key on, the fuel pump is enabled for approx. 4 seconds and then power is removed to it until you turn the bike over with the start switch, so you have to check for pump power within those few seconds.
Do you hear the pump run at all under any circumstance?
Is the block connector for the pump engaged?

gerry_bc (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM
gerry_bc
5th Gear

The connectors under the tank cover (fuel pump and fuel gauge) are plugged in The connector in the tank is connected also. I don't hear anything from the pump. There is no power going into the input side of the fuse for the fuel pump. I am not sure what you mean by "block connector"? Will check now for power at same time as turning key on...