Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help! Ignition module problem?re, dual coil, Crane HI-4 ignition.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
zenwarrior
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Ignition module problem?re, dual coil, Crane HI-4 ignition.

I have a TP 107 ci, single fire, dual coil, Crane HI-4 ignition. Last couple days, the bike just stopped! Crank, crank, crank, no spark at the plugs (new battery). After sitting for a while, fires on one try. Ignition module going bad, or coils? Now that the weather is finally turning nice, would like to ride, but afraid to go too far. Help, please, any ideas?
Thanks,
zen

Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Steeltown
Tourer
Default RE: Help! Ignition module problem?re, dual coil, Crane HI-4 ignition.

Grab a wire and try and hot start it from the battery to the hot post on the coil...if you get spark you can rule how the coil and the battery....if you do not have spark...you have an electricla issue somewhere....I would go through the full circuit with voltameter

here is a trouble shooting guide....

http://www.sjhr.org/articles/repair01.htm

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
zenwarrior
Cruiser

Took her for a ride again, this time is quit in about five minutes. However, if fired up right away. About fifteen minutes later, again. Now, both times, I was about to stop, had pulled the clutch in. Both times, it fired up. On the earlier situation, when I said there was no spark at the plugs, I didnt test them, someone else did. Tonight, got about two blocks, missed a few times, quit, fired right up again. I turned around and went back home. When I rolled her in, I noticed gas seeping out the tube that comes out of the bottom of the float bowl. Shut off the petcock, it stopped. This happened yesterday, I took the bottom of the float bowl off, the jet was loose. Havent checked it yet. By the way, tonight, after it quit, it went Barup (carb fart). Still sound like an electrical problem...or fuel? Havent run electrical test yet.
Thanks,
zen

Old 05-19-2007, 03:10 AM
hard_head
Tourer

Sounds like you picked up some road gremlins........ The fuel problem does need some attention - BUT that can't be the reason you didn't get spark to the plugs. NOT CALLING YOUR FRIEND OUT - but when you checked the plugs did you have the plug grounded against the cylinder fin or not? You might be getting a weak spark and not get it to jump if it isn't grounded. ( FYI: trying to see the spark without grounding it is bad for the ignition system also ) I would first start with the basics - double check all connections by taking them apart, cleaning, applying a dab of electrical grease, and reconnecting. Then try again. Sometimes after a motor has been sitting the connections will just go out... its free and only takes a little time. After that I would start singling out individual componets/ pieces and checking them. Maybe borrow some plug wires from another bike and try them on yours.... if it goes away - thats it. If not... put your original wires back on and try the next thing in line. Good luck with it and keep us posted.....

Swede

Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 AM
zenwarrior
Cruiser

I re-did all the connections on the negitive side of the battery. Went for a ride, ran fine. Then, missing started. With the bike running, I jiggled all the connections. One, coming off the fuse, (on the POSITIVE SIDE, I didnt change those, they seemed to be ok) seemed to be the problem, jiggeled it, kicked back in. Fixing it now, I hope that was it?
Thanks,
zen