Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 AM
1_4jamin
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving

I have a 1999 Ultra Classic. Never had any problems. Yesterday wife and I were riding...and after about 10 miles...the motor just died. Radio was still playing...lights still working...just the motor died. Pulled to the shoulder...and restarted fine, as if it never happened. Turned around to go back home, and got about another 7 miles...and did the same thing again. Restarted with no problem. I did notice after getting it home and letting it cool off before putting it away that when I went to restart, while waiting for the fuel pump to stop running and the engine wait light to go out...heard gurgling in the fuel tank. Note..new fuel....and full tank. Any ideas what could be happening? I have no clue where to start. Wife says electrical...I think fuel related. But there was no indication before cutting off that there was a problem..spitting or sputtering...just shut down.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving

Solenoid. There were several recalls for the solenoid in that time period. I had two bikes that were involved. The solenoid is mounted to close to a heat source and when they get to a certain temp. they just shut down. When they cool for a few minutes they will click back on and off you go.......until it gets hot again.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 99's were not affected by any of the circuit breaker issues - of which many were simply bad crimps. (I don't know where Terry is coming up with a solenoid - solenoids just pull or push like in the starter)

Additionally, if the circuit breaker trips, the entire bike goes dead, so hisguess is incorrect based on symptoms alone because you have lights etc..

You should check for codes, but one thing to try is to turn the handlebars full swing and see if the bike cuts out, or doesn't start in one of the positions. It is not uncommon to have a broken wire in the neck area (by the p-clamp_ or within a foot of it in the harness) that winn kill the bike but allow the other power to remain on. .

Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry, I meant circuit breaker. I've had two bikes recalled for circuit breaker problems.
ORIGINAL: One_Screamin_Eagle

The 99's were not affected by any of the circuit breaker issues - of which many were simply bad crimps. (I don't know where Terry is coming up with a solenoid - solenoids just pull or push like in the starter)

Additionally, if the circuit breaker trips, the entire bike goes dead, so hisguess is incorrect based on symptoms alone because you have lights etc..

You should check for codes, but one thing to try is to turn the handlebars full swing and see if the bike cuts out, or doesn't start in one of the positions. It is not uncommon to have a broken wire in the neck area (by the p-clamp_ or within a foot of it in the harness) that winn kill the bike but allow the other power to remain on. .

Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

4jamin,
What was the last thing done for your bike, and how many miles ago?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM
1_4jamin
Stage III

Changed the oil and filter...that's the "only" thing that has been done to this bike in the past 2 years that I've had it. I just did that before taking it out and having these problems. Talked to someone today that said because I hadn't completely drained the fuel from last year...and this has fuel injection..that this could be the problem...and recommended that I completely drain the tank and put all fresh fuel in it. It had about a gallon and a half of old gas...and I just filled it up and took off after changing the filter and oil.
John

Old 05-29-2007, 09:50 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

John,
Hmmm, intriguing. The gurgling that you mentioned seems indicative of something...you heard that only once? Do those bikes have something like a return or resevoir for fuel that is not sent on to combustion by the injectors? Do I understand correctly that this all happened when you took the bike out for the first time after a winter storage? Any smallkids around? Did you have a look inside the fuel tank? Anyway, have you had a close lookat the fuel injectors? Seems to me that before handing it over to the mechanics, you might have a look-see along the ignition and fuel system.
Alden

Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 PM
1_4jamin
Stage III

Yes...this happened when I broke it out of moth ***** from the winter...no kids around at all to full with it. ( I kept it at work all winter in a climate controled shop ) The gurgling noise - I only noticed that one time. I did look in the fuel tank, but only to guess if I had enough gas to get to the gas station....the fuel gage was showing empty...and the idiot light was on. After filling up it only took a little over 3.5 gals of gas. So I know I had about a gal - to a gal and a half of gas left in the tank. ( normally I use a fuelstablizer when I store a bike..but this year I didn't because I figured I would be riding on nice days throughout the winter, which didn't happen ) As far as having a look-see before taking it to the shop....I hope to be able to figure it out so I don't have to take it to a shop to get worked on. But the symptoms have me baffled. Thought about maybe the fuel filter...a piece of trash blocking the passage and when the bike cuts off....the suction breaks free and lets the trash release...but I would think that if that was the case it would at least sputter a little before shutting off. No sputter. Just a clean engine shut off. While coast at 60 mph...I left it in gear thinking that it might start back up on it's own...but that didn't happen...tried while coasting to hit neutral...and hitting the starter...that didn't work. It only re-started after coming to a complete stop. ( Note- right after I came to a stop, it restarts) I did take the breather off...and notice the bottom part of the filter was wet with gas. As far as a return tube or hose back to the tank. I"m not sure as of yet. I have to read more. The bike has less then 18,000 miles, and to my knowledge has never been filled with gas out of a can.
John

Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

John,
OK, well try to rule out any issues withyour fuel pressure regulator. The FPR works together with your ECM. Excess fuel not pressurized by the injectors must be sent somewhere -that somewhere is back into the tank. Something on your bike is out of harmony -probably as a result of storage conditions during the winter, andI thinkyou will eventually find the issue isbetween your ECM and fuel injectors.Perhaps others on the forum can comment. Myunderstanding has always been that non-battery problems found on the first day or so of new season most often, almost always, will involve the ECM and fuel injectors arena, including perhaps the MAP and TPS. I am sorry that most of the little that I know only comes from the net forums, but at least you can do the most before having to send her to the hospital. Do you have your service manual? HD has service and diagnostics manuals which you could order and have in hand quickly. You are going to have to take off parts and you want to be sure that they go back on properly -procedures for which you will have in the manuals. Also, we do not want to 'throw parts' at her, and we do not want to cause more harm. So just follow a logical course. Take your multimeter and check every ground in your fuel and ignition circuits, especially that ECM. Confirm sensors' operating. I know I have read somewhere about the likely cause of gas being found in the breather section -I just cannot remember. But that is the best clue so far and should lead you to the problem. If you want to do this yourself, it may be tedious, but I think you will get it.

I would be cautious about riding before resolving the issue. As one who has had my bike shut down on me while doing 70 on a busy freeway, with long trucks behind me, I can tell you it is most annoying -if not scary. So just do it by the numbers -there are only so many parts and it should not take too long before you are going to hit it. Good luck!
Alden

Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 AM
99igor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99's had an issue with the bank angle sensor. I would be susprised if that is what bit you but it is possible. another thing to think about it the main circitbreaker. There was a recall about that. It should be a 50 amp on your ultra. But the symptoms are not right. Because when that shuts down the entire bike goes dead.
Last thing is possibly you have an issue with one of your injector wires. I have heard that can be an issue to.

I have a 99 with a lot of miles on it so I have some experience with them.

Quick Reply: 99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving