Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine stalls at 1/4 tank- feels like out of fuel

Old 07-27-2018, 04:45 PM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok this is my last update as i have resolved all my problems with my bike, not my life.... The issue was a fuel issue. i have removed and replaced the butterfly card with a CV. My bike now purrs along at all speeds. I am pleased with the CV carb and enjoy riding without the stalling and frequent stops during my ride. I am now just running a few tanks thru it and will swap out the plugs and wires and do my final jetting if necessary.
Thank you to everyone who replied......I did appreciate all the replies with suggestions and tips
Victor

The following users liked this post:
Jack Ryan (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
In your case it's likely a plugged tank vent.
I'm thinking you are right.

I'm still "fueling" around with it. Last time I was out it ran fine nearly on empty for 15 miles and I filled up. Ran another 20 miles or so on a the full tank and it started acting up. It was on a down hill stretch so I just left it in gear and tried a few things, switching to researve and back, the unscrewed a cap and it started right back up. AH HA! moment! "This is no biggie now" But I had to do that over and over for the next 20-30 miles.

So today I pulled the fuel line off and ran half a pop bottle full out the bottom of the tank before I ever moved it or stirred up the fuel. About ready for a little test ride now.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:59 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser

Test ride showed the same symptoms but I noticed it was pretty much only occurring at highway speeds. I rode for an hour at slow, back road speeds, no problem. Took off down the highway and in 4-5 miles it is spitting and sputtering and soon quits. Loosen the cap and off we go again. I switched out the cap for an old one to try for a while.

My shop manual shows an upper vent line connecting to the right tank inside next to the right fuel cap. Is that just the vent line from the top of one tank to the top of the other tank and they just don't show the connection being made to the left tank?

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser

Changed out the right, vented, gas cap and problem solved.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
Changed out the right, vented, gas cap and problem solved.
Wrong. Not solved.

Today I pulled the petcock and screen. It was half covered in crap.

The petcock has always been so hard to turn it near took pliers so I took the chance to work on that. Disassemble that seems simple. Wipe it all off, rub off all dark or odd looking spots. Blew off the screen with an air gun. Reassemble with anti seize on every thing. Just snugged up every thing and put a little fuel in take to check for leaks and it looked amazingly goo and a 5 year old girl could turn it from reserve to on and every where in between.

Put about half a gallon of gas in it and left for a ride constant feeling "down there" and yep, got a leak. No big deal, half expected it to need to be tighter but in putting a little more on it, I noticed a problem. There is a flimsy little thing washer, really thin tin or maybe even paper between the actual petcock valve and the thin plate with on and reserve printed on it. It tore and was hanging out.

Do I really need that? Can't find any place that lists parts for a petcock. They just want to sell new ones at $19 + shipping. This looks like about a 2 cent part they probably want a quarter for. I haven't tried putting it back together with out it yet.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 AM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Jack did ya fix it yet? My issue was with Carb.. the High speed circuit part of card was issue. probably could of repaired carb but always had lean miss issue with original and wanted something better then the butterfly. I had opportunity to get a CV which i wanted in the first place and made switch. no complaints. let me know how you make out..