Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine stalls at 1/4 tank- feels like out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine stalls at 1/4 tank- feels like out of fuel

bike runs great until 1/4 tank then stalls while driving. feels like it is running out of gas. I pull over it stalls I wait 10 seconds and restart it and I drive away like nothing happened. I can drive for 2 hours all speeds and hills but when I get to 1/4 tank it will die once. I do not think it is a fuel tank issue or float issue, if it was it would act up during my 2 hour ride. If it was a coil or pickup it would die and take time to cool or never restart. any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

what year bike? vacuum petcock? Switch over to reserve ?

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear
Default 1989 flhsc

iT HAS A PINGLE PETCOCK. 1989 Elctraglide classic. no upgrades just stock low mileage.
Any suggestions are appreciated

Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear

switching to reserve has no effect so far while still driving.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Maybe some trash in the tank that gets stirred up when it's that low

Old 04-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

Does the 89 have the in tank fuel screen ? You have to unbolt the petcock if it does and the screen pulls out with the petcock. Double check me on that it's been quite a while. The screen is a longer cylinder type and could be clogged at a certain height if you have one.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 PM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear

I am not sure this is a screen issue. once the bike shuts down I come to a stop and restart bike. it starts and runs fine and I can drive it without issue until I get more fuel. if it was a screen issue it would remain an issue and not run without any problem. I know on certain Japanese marine vehicles that they slow down to an idle and you will need to restart vehicle and this brings attention that fuel is low. It just seemed odd that I drove bike 3 different times no issue and only when around a 1/4 tank did it exhibit this problem. I will continue to monitor this. I have filled tank and will drive it for an hour ride to road test. I will try all different situations and see if I can trigger this problem. I may bring an inductive spark checker so if it has a hiccup I can check for spark on each cylinder. I will also try driving it on reserve setting and make sure fuel circuit has new fuel throughout

Old 04-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain

I wonder if when it dies do you remove your gas cap to see where the fuel level is.? Maybe a ventilation issue, a sort of vapor lock until you remove the gas cap. Just guessing and stirring brain cells.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:44 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
I wonder if when it dies do you remove your gas cap to see where the fuel level is.? Maybe a ventilation issue, a sort of vapor lock until you remove the gas cap. Just guessing and stirring brain cells.
^^Vapor lock. Replace the gas cap.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 PM
stanich@optonline.net
6th Gear
Default stalling update

took a ride today and had issue again. I took some time to try different things. I do not think it is a gas cap issue because I loosened the cap and drove with cap just laying on tank this did not resolve issue. first time bike was hot temp wise this year so happened few times. also happened during hard excelleration so maybe not fuel problem. possible Ignition coil or pickup issue. I will look at this next. first I need to get some specs on coils to test the coils with meter. I will keep updating this thread until I resolve this. I will also pull cover and inspect the pick-up.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls at 1/4 tank- feels like out of fuel