Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New HD Tune Strategy question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default New HD Tune Strategy question

HD recently released a new tune for the 14-17 Dyna/softail 110 motors to address hard starting. This modifies the ACR operation. It's called Strategy 621, vs. the prior tune version, 617.

Got the download yesterday from my dealer, and am well aware that it wiped my existing excellent tune from FuelMoto. My question is if I were to copy over all the FuelMoto modified tables - airflow, fuel, spark, etc., to the new HD 621 tune, is that all I need to do? I know the ACR area that was fixed isn't visible to the WinPV software, but to correct the overly lean EPA tune, is that all I need to do?

WinPV has a nice delta function that shows all the tables with differences, so it's as easy as copying and pasting each.

Jamie at FuelMoto said he would apply my tune to the new HD Strategy, but I want to ride this weekend and not on the factory HD tune, so if it's as simple as I said, I can do that myself.

But I want to make sure it is indeed that simple.

Most ppl in this forum have a lot more experience with this then I do, so before I go ahead and upload the hybrid tune I just made, I wanted to check.

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:48 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Mike,

WTH are you doing up so early & asking "brain burner" questions on little coffee/sleep?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to respond b/c bikes too new and stock as showroom floor. Saving up for upgrades...will definitely be interested in this info tho - cheers!

Old 05-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Mike,

WTH are you doing up so early & asking "brain burner" questions on little coffee/sleep?

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to respond b/c bikes too new and stock as showroom floor. Saving up for upgrades...will definitely be interested in this info tho - cheers!
I've has two cups already my friend. I got to go out this morning to make sure my telecom vendor doesn't screw up a circuit upgrade and I wanted to ride over, but I don't want to risk screwing anything up. I'm pretty sure my assumption is correct, but you know what they say about assumptions...

So I was hoping there were other lunatics like myself up this early. Apparently I was correct

Old 05-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Definitely have to keep tabs on those telecomm guys, especially w/end equipment + links. Our fiber crew patched into wrong ports a few weeks back, but swore they tested continuity...they were wrong (liars) and I called them out. Been doing IT work since 1988 so I have a "little" knowledge in my cranium.

I'm hoping to hear back from dealer today on this flash/update for our 110's...had the hard start/fail last Sat & they plan to assess later, but would be nice to get the flash and test our before 1K service.

Hope the weather's better there than here, my friend...48-degrees and wet in Eastern NE. Ride safe!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:08 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

You've probably already done it, been out, and did fine, but...

I would have compared the original 617 VE, CDE, and various spark tables with the new 621 to see what changes if any they had made there.

If nothing significant then I would have been happy in my head to give the FM's a try.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Definitely have to keep tabs on those telecomm guys, especially w/end equipment + links. Our fiber crew patched into wrong ports a few weeks back, but swore they tested continuity...they were wrong (liars) and I called them out. Been doing IT work since 1988 so I have a "little" knowledge in my cranium.

I'm hoping to hear back from dealer today on this flash/update for our 110's...had the hard start/fail last Sat & they plan to assess later, but would be nice to get the flash and test our before 1K service.

Hope the weather's better there than here, my friend...48-degrees and wet in Eastern NE. Ride safe!
Just bring it in and have them check your VIN. They told me it was a no-appointment needed update... Took longer to roll the bike in then the update did.

Show them this:

Title: M1445: PRODUCT PROGRAM 0924 - 2014-2017 CVO SOFTTAIL/DYNA 110 CALIBRATION REFLASH
Global Reference: M1445_1063265_en_US
Navigation Path: Vehicle -> Service Bulletins
Publication Date: 04-May-2017 19:37:24

Edit: Maybe this should be in the Dyno Room forum? Mods, what do you think?

Last edited by Mchad; 05-20-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Talk about impatience. I need to ride today. So I flashed the modified new 621 tune and started it. Heard the new "click" of the ACR's opening when I switched on, and it started up nicely. I didn't run it at all, just started, idled, no check engine lights or anything abnormal, and shut it down.

I'm hoping someone with real tuner experience like Wide Open Cycles, gives me the "OK" that I did it right, as I really want to ride today with a clear conscience...

Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Talk about impatience. I need to ride today. So I flashed the modified new 621 tune and started it. Heard the new "click" of the ACR's opening when I switched on, and it started up nicely. I didn't run it at all, just started, idled, no check engine lights or anything abnormal, and shut it down.

I'm hoping someone with real tuner experience like Wide Open Cycles, gives me the "OK" that I did it right, as I really want to ride today with a clear conscience...
I'm not sure what all tables Jamie modifies, some will be exposed to you and some will be hidden tables that few of us have access to. You should be fine to just copy/paste the tables Jamie modified. Especially the VE and the ignition tables. That should get you by just fine for the weekend but I would definitely take Jamie up on his offer to apply the changes to your new Calibration

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I'm not sure what all tables Jamie modifies, some will be exposed to you and some will be hidden tables that few of us have access to. You should be fine to just copy/paste the tables Jamie modified. Especially the VE and the ignition tables. That should get you by just fine for the weekend but I would definitely take Jamie up on his offer to apply the changes to your new Calibration
Yes, I was talking about those tables accessible in the consumer version of WinPV, so thanks, appreciate the response. I can ride at ease now until I hear back from him.

Take care