Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Finally got my bike dyno'ed, and it wasn't what I expected

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Finally got my bike dyno'ed, and it wasn't what I expected

Bike is a 2015 street glide with Fuel Moto 107 kit. 10.5:1 pistons, 999-6a cams, level B heads, D&D Fat cat exhaust, and a Power Vision with autotune. I am running the tune from Fuel Moto with a couple of auto tune sessions. The bike runs strong and is fun as hell to ride.

The dyno run was done at my local HD on a Dynojet dyno. They wouldn't let me in the back to watch, but I assume it was done in 6th gear.

My numbers were 106hp/ 112tq. This is 13hp/ 13 tq lower then I was expecting based on an identical setup on Fuel Motos site.

A couple questions

1 Can the difference in power just be the difference between dynos?

2 Why is the torque curve so different between the charts?

3 Any problems/ issues to check for?

Fwiw my buddies 2015 RGU CVO with SE cams, intake and true dual exhaust did 97/107 on the same dyno.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

From what you posted it sounds like your bike had a dyno test, the FM bike was dyno tuned.... big difference. On your dyno run nothing was done to optimize the tune.

You need to go somewhere where they will make the needed adjustments.... dealers are very reluctant to do that.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

RRP is right. If you tuned it yourself, it's likely the reason for the Tq curve difference. Still, Gear run and Dyno are also likely additional reasons for the difference in 2 maps.. The fact that yours is in STD and FM is on SAE should make yours stronger by about 2-3%. (It don't)

Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Olsen185
Tourer

Yes I'm aware that I only did a power run. The tune created by Fuel Moto for the bike on their dyno chart is what I'm running on my bike.

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (03-25-2022)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

You mean the numbers were not as advertised by the seller of the kit that he got on his own dyno? That is why I always look for 3rd party dyno numbers and it helps to get a couple of different ones from around different part of the country. If the seller's is always the highest. Red flag.

oleboy (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Call Fuel Moto!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Olsen185
Tourer

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
You mean the numbers were not as advertised by the seller of the kit that he got on his own dyno? That is why I always look for 3rd party dyno numbers and it helps to get a couple of different ones from around different part of the country. If the seller's is always the highest. Red flag.
Not so much concerned that I didn't have the same numbers, I know they vary for a bunch of different reasons. However, I am significantly lower and the torque curve is very different, I'm just concerned that I may have some sort of issue

Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

The first thing I noticed is the correction factor is different. SAE vs STD. That will yield different results. Also I couldn't tell what gear the FM dyno was tested in. There could be a significant difference there also. 5th vs 6th gear. Your Dyno was done in 5th gear, look in upper right hand corner, is reads "smoothing 5". As long it runs good and no de-cel pop and the AFR is in spec you should be good to go! I would recommend letting a good tuner get ahold of your bike so they can optimize what you have. I have a "canned" tune from FM in my Road Glide and it needs some massaging. Dyno and tune is scheduled next week for mine.

Last edited by Doshounds; 05-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.
FLTRI17 (03-25-2022)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

A couple of other things. STD usually reads 1-2% higher than SAE, and smoothing factor has nothing to do with gear ratio or gear selected. To compare gearing. Gear ratio can be displayed. Bet they are both around 38-40.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Get it properly tuned and you will see some gains. You're not to far off of what I typically see out of that build. What's are you located? Perhaps some of the members here can point you in the direction of a reputable tuner

Quick Reply: Finally got my bike dyno'ed, and it wasn't what I expected