Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

v inerr

Old 06-16-2017, 12:17 PM
wlmorris59
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v inerr

2016 road glide ultra v inerr ocasionally when starting voltage regulator has been replaced

Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Can you translate please. I'm thinking maybe this comes up on speedo when starting? If so, probably a weak battery or battery cable connection.

Last edited by jbarr1; 06-16-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

VIN ERR can occur at start up for a variety of reasons. Often when the bike is doing a hot start.
Ensure the battery is in good condition.
Also that the positive cable and negative battery cable is clean and tight at both ends.
Depending on what set up you have MAP/ECM wise, check that your automatic compression releases are set to the On position.
There is a new standard calibration available to stock 110" model bikes related to just this issue, however I think your model is a 103" so not sure if that has an option to be remapped.
The general idea of the new map is to allow for those first couple of turns of the engine to be easier by opening the ACRs as soon as the ignition is turned on and maintaining that position for approximately 10 seconds at which point they'll close regardless of whether the start button is pressed to avoid damaging the driver coils at which point another OFF/ON cycle is required to open them again. This creates less stress for the battery which if it falls below a certain voltage whilst starting will display VIN ERR on the speedo.
The previous maps and likely what is on your bike only opens the ACRs when the start button is pressed which doesn't provide a time frame sufficient for them to do their job in certain situations.
As agravating as it is, the VIN ERR displaying isn't going to harm your bike but you will occasionally experience more difficult starting like that feeling that the bike is barely turning over.
Not really solved your issue but it might be worth speaking to your dealer and seeing if you have the option of an updated map.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Dirty Bob
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Vin err

This has been the most helpful post regarding this topic: VIN ERR. After buying my 2 0 1 6 FXDB I contacted the dealer and told him that I was getting an error message on startup. The dealer told me to use a trickle charger on the battery. The motorcycle has synthetic oil and I run that all the time. But it does seem thicker than regular oil so that may make it harder to start. Yet, your answer to the problem is correct it must be that the compression release is not set to ON in the ECM or this is a problem for all. Therefore it should be a recall for Harley-Davidson.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:20 PM
Dirty Bob
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Vin Err answer is the vin number isn't entered in the ThunderMax module for your bike. HD should have entered your vin when the bike came off the factory line. Now HD service has the cable and software to make the change. ThunderMax support gave me the instructions but only HD can make the correction.