Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 upgrades and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Surggack
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 upgrades and tuning

I have a 2001 FTSTFI with an 88 engine. I am looking to add a stage 1 (possibly stage 2) air filter intake. My questions: Would adding a stage 1 air filter increase performance to any appreciable degree? Would a stage 2 filter add any more appreciable benefit? Would these work without changing the exhaust system? Is it worth getting a fuel management system? What is the best kind to get for this bike? I am just basically wondering if I can do a few of these upgrades and get a noticeable performance increase, or if it is not worth spending the money. I am new to this, so any input is extremely helpful!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

There is actually no such animal as a "Stage 2" intake for a street bike. That's only another marketing ploy to separate you from your wallet. A "Stage 1" intake, filter element, and backing plate will flow more air than the motor can handle. As long as you swap out the exhaust system to a free flowing set-up along in conjunction with a fuel management device, of your choosing, that will allow the motor to breath and keep itself itself cool at the same time, you can expect an increase anywhere from 5-10% in torque and horsepower. Just adding an air cleaner by itself will pretty much give you a negligible increase. As far as which fuel management device is the best for your bike, you can spend a little over $100 or up to $800 or so. So be prepared to do a lot of reading up on the subject. That's how you'll be able to learn!