Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2010 ultra motor swap??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:59 AM
dab102999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2010 ultra motor swap??

Weighing out my options and trying to go the most cost effective for me right now.

I have a 2010 ultra TC 96 Fuelly. Lost my oil pump and crank it out .015. So I know what that means. Have not tore into the motor yet to see if any other damage has been done. Motor is stock minus air breather and cat delelte. Motor has 22,000 miles on it. When I lost pump motor did start to make noise and it took me about a mile to get off the road so hopeing no more damage but with my luck probably not so much.

Money is tight, was not planning on a rebuild so soon. I do know that when I do one it will start with a pinned/welded crank. Probably Darkhorse. Only mods I am planning on is cams, maybe go a little bigger c.c. 's but not right now. Figured make the bottom end good and go from there. I am the type that likes to be in it once and not just slap it together to have to go back and do it again later....

But I found a 103 out of a 2012 FLHP with 10,000 miles on it for a pretty good price. If I went that route I could build my motor over the winter and do it right, I was told that I would need a de-comp harness for my bike. Is that plug and play? I was also told I would need to re-flash my ecm. Is this a Harley only thing? What would rough cost be on something like that?

I don't know much about these bikes but I do have a service manual and 20+ years tool and die background. I have rebuilt other things just not a Harley but am confident that I can do it with help from places like this and a good friend with a shop and he has 20+ years Harley mechanic experience. Not trying to take a cheap way out but at the same time I spent every spare dime I had to buy the bike and still had to finance some, I hate the fact that I haven't even made first payment yet and I am looking at possibaly not riding it for months so would like to get it back on the road as soon as I can. But with that said I am not going to "just put a crank in to do that".

Hopefully this post wasn't too confusing, and not jumping ahead of the horse before I tear my motor apart but just wondering if I should forget about the 103 and either rebuild mine or at least find a 96 to replace it for now to prevent paying for a re-flash to have to reflash again once my motor is back together. (or once I build it up some would a re-flash be called for anyways)..I was sort of figuring with the 103 that it would get me thru the year and get my motor done and then resell the 103 to recoupe some money.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The ECM needs a flash because your current ECM is tuned to a 96. Moving to a 103 will require a 103 tune. My advice, get quotes and recommendations from a pro. Either a Harley Certified Master Tech, or a shop with a stellar reputation who's done many engine swaps in the past. There are many questions to be answered.....electrical/trans/exhaust/frame compatibility. I'm guessing it can be done, but tackling that on your own without having ever done it before might be biting off a lot. I believe if it will bolt up with minimal mods needed, it would be much easier than a tear down/rebuild of your current engine. I would call Fuel Moto. They may not be able to answer all of your questions, but they should be able to tell you right away what's involved.
I'm sure there are those here who've either attempted it, or have done it. Hopefully those folks will chime in here. Fuel Moto is where I'd start with a phone call. If it requires a LOT of mods, I'd start looking for another 96.
Good luck with it, and please keep us posted as to your progress.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

To start, I believe the the ACR harness you are looking for is part number 70623-08.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-18-7062308--1

Yes, you will need a re-flash for the 103, and the ACRs will have to be turned on in the ECM as well.

Either your dealer can do it, or if you have a flash tuner like TTS or PV you could do it yourself.
(Dealer would be cheeper then buying a flash tuner, but if you are going to do a build on the old motor you will have to decide how you want to tune that one.)

Does your 96 still have the stock compensator?
Does that 103 come with the primary?

The 103 used a different compensator then that 96. If your bike has had the compensator replaced with a SE comp you may be OK. Otherwise you may want to consider something like a Baker comp (and new HD rotor per Baker instructions) to use with that 103.

Also, what year is that 103 motor?
If it is an 09 or later, it should bolt right in. Earlier and you may have to check bolt holes for front motor mount.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-22-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:47 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

Has anyone delt with Fort Wayne speed shop? They have a 103 built for a good price, welded crank, S&S 585 cams, polished ported heads, high perf lifters, quicky rods, Timken crank bearing, hand cut valves..sounds like a good build and I know I can not build mine for the price they want...plus I can have them do the swap or save some money and do the swap myself and take it back to them and have them flash it...

I can't seem to find much about them on the internet thought but talked to them on the phone, they seem knowledgable and have a lot of years of Harley mechanic experience behind them.

As far as what compensator and such on my bike I have no idea as of right now, I do know there motor is complete minus my stator, drive, fuel supply. Otherwise bolt and go.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM
dab102999
Cruiser

I just realized that I am in Tunner section, how do I contact a Mod and see if I can get this moved to Engine Mech Topics?