Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rach and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Anonyinrcsmm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach and misfire

I'm a proud new owner of a 91 flhtcu. Picked it up for two grand from an 83 year old man that can't ride anymore due to a couple mini strokes.
. Anyway, on to my problem. Intermittently the tach reads zero and I'm only getting fire from one cylinder. Im not very familiar with this system due to the fact that this is my first Harley. If it was a rice burner I'd be more than willing to start wrenching but mistakes on these higher quality bikes can get kind of expensive. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Last edited by Anonyinrcsmm; 06-24-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Misspelling in title
Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Anonyinrcsmm
2nd Gear
Default Pic of my new ride

Here's a pic of my new ride as it sat in the old mans garage.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

For the money invested you certainly can afford to take it to a dealer or Indy to get it spiffed up and running tiptop.
Not worth just getting it running and then take off for a ride only to find there are other issues that need addressing causing failures along the ride.
JMHO, Bob

Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Anonyinrcsmm
2nd Gear
Default Semi agreed

I do agree with you that I got it for an astounding price. Nut I have to disagree with you on whether or not I can afford to take it to a dealer. Although I work full time in the HVAC field I don't get paid a whole lot of money. It's going to take me months to save up enough so that I MIGHT be able to pay a dealership to go thru my new bike. I can't speak for everyone here but I'm guessing I'm like most others and really really want to ride this thing sooner than that. Lol
. I do eventually want to take it for a check up for for now it's just not feasible financially. Thanks for your input though.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:43 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Check battery cables, grounds, connections, ingnition switch contacts...etc... Drain fuel, refill with fresh gas. You'll have to be patient and just start working through the whole thing. No telling what's happening with a bike that has sat for a long time.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

First off, congrats on scoring a sweet deal. Lots of upgrades that can be done with that bike. Check out the EVO sub-forum when you get a chance.

When the regulator starts going bad the tach will begin to act up. Check this thread out:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...ng-system.html

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Anonyinrcsmm
2nd Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you bad tappets for the info. I'm gonna have to break out my multi meter and start doing some continuity and short circuit diagnosis. Guess i was hoping for some kind of miracle type fix. Doesnt hurt to try i suppose. Lol
. The previous owner already had quite a few after market add on's done. S&S 107 c.i. big bore kit, S&S carb, supertrapp exhaust, aftermarket ignition system, a set of ear blowing air horns, custom saddle, and it's decked out with "live to ride......" side cases, mirrors, headlight hoods, etc.....
. I still can't believe the deal I got on this thing. And to top it off, when asked what my favorite model Harley is, this is the one I've always wanted. I've been living life right and treating people as best I possibly can. I attribute this good fortune as the pay off for my actions.