Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Leaking Quick Disconnect Leaking

Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Skyking75
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Leaking Quick Disconnect

I have a question about the O-rings on the quick disconnect fitting. I show there are 2 O-rings on the female half. Some other sites show there are 3 O-rings. 2 on the female side and one on the male end. I do not see one on my male end. Does anybody have knowledge of how many O-Rings there are? I have attached some pictures if that helps.

Last edited by Skyking75; 08-24-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

There are lots of threads about replacing the O rings on the disconnect. Personally, I was happy to pay my Indy $150 for a new disconnect and new fuel line, in the tank. The '03s were prone to developing a leak in tank, anyway.

If if you don't get any answers on this thread, do a search by title. A general search is usually worthless.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Skyking75
Cruiser

Thanks. That is the route I am planning to go. I just can't ride the bike there. I am going to have to trailer it there. I was hoping to find a way to hold off the leak for about 15 Minutes so I can ride it there. My nickname at one time was fireball. I don't want that to happen again.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

There is an oring on the interior of the fitting of the line going to the throttle body at least on my 08. The needle valve is square on the base and pushing it down with a dental pick you can fish it out and get a replacement. I don't have the size off hand...but I did replace it and it worked fine as the high pressure line to the TB was an additional 80 bux or so.
The actual quick connect from the tank was like 80 bux as well I believe from the stealer with new fuel line.
Not too difficult of a job to replace if your inclined.
I did find some replacement O rings at Home Depot for the quick connect as well but I don't remember the sizes and never tested them as I bought the stealer replacement.
You may want to check your in tank fuel lines as well if your doing the job yourself..
They are prone to leaks.

I knew I should've taken pictures and recorded sizes..I just did this job last month.
Sorry..
I'll do better next time.

Last edited by Uncle Fuzzy; 07-04-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Old 07-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Skyking75
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. If I am reading this right there are only 2 O-Rings and they are both in the female end. There is not a O-Ring on the male end. I have the part number for the John Deere O-ring that is supposed to work but I have not ordered it yet. I am thinking about removing the tank to get a better view of the O-Ring or taking the tank in to my guy and just having the whole thing installed. My only concern is when I reinsert the male end in that I could damage the new O-Ring. I have never typed O-Ring so much in my life.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Google Fuel Tool
Available from dennis kirk, ebay, amazon, etc.

for just the o-ring, mc600
for kit to rebuild male end, mc700

Old 07-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Skyking75
Cruiser

Upon further inspection there is an O-Ring in the male end as well. Now I don't know which one is leaking. I was thinking of removing the tank and have the female end replaced but if the male end is leaking that will not fix the leak. Can you remove the male end and replace it?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

There are a number of threads on this relatively common problem, which I had on a low mileage 2011 FXDWG. With patience, good light, and a dental pick the o-ring in the female disconnect can be removed and replaced.

I have the specs on the "correct" o-ring, but, long story short, it's EXACTLY the same o-ring as used in the oil drain plug.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

See my post above
Stealer told me the male end/entire hose is a non serviceable part. I was able to get the oring out with a dental pick and replaced it with a similar o ring from home depot.
IIRC once you get the oring out the needle valve will fall right out.
I just made sure the new one was seated in its recess and retained the valve.
No problems so far

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Leaking Quick Disconnect Leaking