Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

High alt and pinging

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
As I stated, I had to run 87 just to make it bearable. Thats winding it out considerably higher, and staying 1-2 gears lower than normal. With 91, it was a ping monster. I originally thought Id need higher octane, so I got a can of octane boost. Huge mistake. 1 mile down the road and I was thinking I need to dump the tank and get some 87 back in. Managed to run a gal out and stopped to top off with 85. Ran better again. A quick search on the net stated that a lower octane can be ran at higher elevations.
I thought pinging was from running to low of octane or incorrect timing? Can you run to high octane?

We stopped in at a dealer there to ask what they do with the new bikes. Was told nothing, just run 91. And then do a tuner as next step. Its almost like my bike would not adjust to the different elevation. Seems I recall reading something to that effect posted here last fall when the M8's came out???
Last fall it ran great in the Smokies, but thats 1/2 the elevation as the Rockies.
Apologies for misreading you earlier. This seems very strange to me indeed. As I understand these things, the worst you can do by going for high octane gas is spend more $ than you need to. The rest of your experience runs the 180 degree opposite of what I would have expected. Sounds more like you "need" to run low octane fuel at high altitudes rather than "can" run it. !!

If it were my ride, I'd be having a diagnostic run on the EFI by the dealer, to eliminate that as a problem if nothing else.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Could have been fuel but sounds like you have a bad absolute pressure/temperature reader on your throttle body. Maybe 32319-07A
Since reducing octane seemed to help, it must have been too rich. Lower octane burns quicker. They have the same BTU power content. 40 mph in low gear is a lot of rpm.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:12 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to take it in and let them take a look at it. With it running normal now that back home, I just keep putting it off. But I will say that with all the hype of the power of the new 114's over the standard 103's and I'm not seeing that same result, possibly I have had an issue from day 1??? My buddies have stock '12 and '13' SG's with the 103's and I have to really get into it it when they take off to keep up. I cant pull away even the slightest. Another buddy just bought a '17 RGS and had the stage 1 done 2 weeks after purchase.. cam, full exhaust, TTS tuner, dyno, breather......he can pull away from me. I just don't tell him he can. LOL

Yes I know I was pushing it taking off. But had to do what it took. That was mostly when doing the Mtn curves when inclines were involved. Flat land I could feather the throttle and shift earleir. Of course the tranny/primary fluid transfer talk now with the M8's when running over 3500rpm was always in back of my mind. Luckliy I didn't have that problem. Though I didn't check levels till back home. Wasn't going to deal with that too and just let the chips fall.

Last edited by CVO SG; 07-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.