Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FI irrational idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts
Default FI irrational idle

06 flhtci
On 1200 miles since the last week touring Va. bike has gone through the gamut, first was dying when stopping from highway speeds, blasted the idle air control valve with carb cleaner, seemed better. But still sometimes get lower idle after highway speed, 5-600 rpms. Totally shut off today going down a hill on the Blue Ridge Parkway, cycled thumb switch and all was well. Sometimes while starting I seem to get a violent kickback while hot starting. Seems like I'm forgetting another issue, I'll bring it to you when I remember.
When I clean the IACV with carb cleaner the bike seems to run better, but within a day another idle issue pops up.
My high flow air cleaner dumps the crank vent into the throttle body, I'm blaming the oil for messing with the idle air control valve.
I pulled the crank position sensor today, it was clean and no cracks.
Other than those occasional issues the bike runs great.
Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Try cleaning the IAC with Mass Airflow Cleaner not carb cleaner. Carb Cleaner will leave a residue that can jack the IAC around and cause it to send false readings to the ECM.

The following users liked this post:
Hoginedgewood (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Try cleaning the IAC with Mass Airflow Cleaner not carb cleaner. Carb Cleaner will leave a residue that can jack the IAC around and cause it to send false readings to the ECM.
This ^

Then modify your intake to vent externally. Or get one that's already set up for that.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:37 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 2,554 Posts

EFI. Throttle body cleaner for the intake and bottom of the butterfly, and like OldEnuf said MASS Cleaner for the IAC. Cycle the ignition on and off while spraying (don't start it) and that will make the IAC move in and out. Look for dirty vs clean cleaner coming out. Make sure you spray the little sensor on the wire good too. It's very sensitive so don't touch it. Over oiling air filters can be a culprit too. Method I use is a clean towel placed carefully inside the throttle body, open and lock the throttle, then after spraying use low pressure compressed air to "dry out" inside before starting when all done.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Went to Walmart, they had a 2 pack of throttle body cleaner and map sensor cleaner, read the directions, total disassemble and spray! I'm far from home and not ready for that today. Will look for 1 can instead of two?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 2,554 Posts

one can should get you by. You can buy single cans at just about any auto parts store and most of their instructions refer to autos. Look at how to clean it out on YouTube. I've used my method several times successfully. If you're stuck out on the road buy a can of compressed air like they use for computers to help evaporate the overflow from cleaning before you start it. I'm re reading your initial post and are you saying you have the majority of the problem after coming off the hwy? Excess blowby will definitely mess with the sensor. You may to deal with that eventually.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine showed no codes just rough idle and stalled a couple of times after warmed up,changed fuel filter and started using startron ethanol injector clearner and seems ok now.....my fuel filter was 7yrs old on low mile 11 flhxxx.....since you are on a trip i would do the startron to get back home.......and replace the fuel filter.....ethanol gums up everything......shows no codes....good luck......

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

You need to check for intake leaks with that spray onto the intake flanges at the heads while the engine idles, being careful not to get it into the a/c. If the rpms change (up or down) you have an intake leak making the engine run lean and will cause dying at idle and poor run quality.
Another culprit may be the internal fuel pressure line(s) in the gas tank. They can get a hole from rubbing on the internal tunnel in the middle of the tank.
Take the fuel cap off with less than a 1/2 tank, put your ear to the filler hole and turn on the ignition. When the fuel pump cycles you will hear gas spraying out of a worn hole. Kinda like the sound of pissing on a flat rock. Lol
If you suspect a hole in the pressure line you can verify by checking pressure with the appropriate tool or open the canopy at the top of the tank and look inside while cycling the ignition. You will hear and/or see the fuel spraying.

Last edited by FLTRI17; 07-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

I've determined it's blowby getting into the sensors, got some hose and extended the head vents to the bottom of the air filter, ran better today. I'll do a more permanent fix when I get home.
Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by brakeless
one can should get you by. You can buy single cans at just about any auto parts store and most of their instructions refer to autos. Look at how to clean it out on YouTube. I've used my method several times successfully. If you're stuck out on the road buy a can of compressed air like they use for computers to help evaporate the overflow from cleaning before you start it. I'm re reading your initial post and are you saying you have the majority of the problem after coming off the hwy? Excess blowby will definitely mess with the sensor. You may to deal with that eventually.
2 cans
One can of throttle body cleaner
One can of Another sensor cleaner.

Quick Reply: FI irrational idle