Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Loss of Comms BCM codes

Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 PM
cempty808
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loss of Comms BCM codes

I wanted to share my ordeal with you all so maybe someone will not have to deal with the frustration I dealt with trying to figure this nightmare out. Ok, it started with bcm codes u0001 (canbus fault), u0140 (loss of comms with bcm), u0141 (loss of comms lhcm), u0142 (loss of comms rhcm) and u0156 (loss of comms with speedo). Of course the check engine light would come on and go out . This was happening over the last year and I just couldnt figure out what it was. So one day , thinking it had to be in the apehanger bars i installed about 3 years ago I removed all wiring from the bars and found nothing wrong. Checked the left and right hand control switches and wiring and found nothing. Checked all connectors relating to codes in the fairing and under the seat. Nothing. So a few months later I decided to tackle it again because I was on vacation and bored with nothing to do. I removed the tank and checked the wiring under the tank in the wire way. They all looked good. Finally, I decided to start the bike . While idling I turned the bars left and right to the stops. Low and behold, the codes came back. Found about 5 wires pinched from flexing all the time at the right side neck area. I could literally pull the wires apart . They were broken inside the insulation and barely making contact. A classic intermittent nightmare was exposed finally. I was so happy. I spliced the wires back together and the bike has been running code free for a couple months. My frustration with the MoCo is enormous as they used the smallest wire gauge they could get away with. These wires are so fragile and easy to break. Shame on them for doing this. Ok Im finally done venting. If you reached this sentence, thanks for listening. Hope to help someone out someday.

The following 5 users liked this post by cempty808:
deva86 (08-08-2023), Gumbie013 (07-04-2023), Havanacigar (06-21-2018), Tony124 (01-03-2020), wicked nitro (10-20-2021)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad you found where the faults came from. Those communication errors can be very difficult to find. When changed to ape hangers did you measure the required length and added the necessary extra cable length?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 AM
cempty808
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCop
Glad you found where the faults came from. Those communication errors can be very difficult to find. When changed to ape hangers did you measure the required length and added the necessary extra cable length?
I used 8" cable extensions for the 12" ape install

Old 01-29-2019, 04:42 AM
JmyersC
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cempty808
I wanted to share my ordeal with you all so maybe someone will not have to deal with the frustration I dealt with trying to figure this nightmare out. Ok, it started with bcm codes u0001 (canbus fault), u0140 (loss of comms with bcm), u0141 (loss of comms lhcm), u0142 (loss of comms rhcm) and u0156 (loss of comms with speedo). Of course the check engine light would come on and go out . This was happening over the last year and I just couldnt figure out what it was. So one day , thinking it had to be in the apehanger bars i installed about 3 years ago I removed all wiring from the bars and found nothing wrong. Checked the left and right hand control switches and wiring and found nothing. Checked all connectors relating to codes in the fairing and under the seat. Nothing. So a few months later I decided to tackle it again because I was on vacation and bored with nothing to do. I removed the tank and checked the wiring under the tank in the wire way. They all looked good. Finally, I decided to start the bike . While idling I turned the bars left and right to the stops. Low and behold, the codes came back. Found about 5 wires pinched from flexing all the time at the right side neck area. I could literally pull the wires apart . They were broken inside the insulation and barely making contact. A classic intermittent nightmare was exposed finally. I was so happy. I spliced the wires back together and the bike has been running code free for a couple months. My frustration with the MoCo is enormous as they used the smallest wire gauge they could get away with. These wires are so fragile and easy to break. Shame on them for doing this. Ok Im finally done venting. If you reached this sentence, thanks for listening. Hope to help someone out someday.
Thank you. Having the same exact problem and now know where to look.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:38 PM
fairlydangerous1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Same kind of problem I had but the problem was actually in the connectors. I put different bars on. Removed the wires from the connectors and then re-installed them. Everything looked good but I was getting an intermittent trouble. After about 30 hours I finally traced it to loose connections within the connectors. the new M8 connectors are a little smaller than the older connectors and don't seem to support the wires from movement. Nothing broke, just not making a good connection on two of the wires. Pulled them out and checked them and wires and everything was good. Put them back in and connected up, boom, trouble. I cut the wires out of the connectors and re-spliced and troubles gone for good. When I cut the connectors off I verified no broken wires inside the sheath. PITA

Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Randy Redman
Stage IV
Default Thank you so much.. similar problems on my 2017 Street glide

This stuff is amazing when you have to strip off all the other wiring harness.

And I also put a video on YouTube

Originally Posted by cempty808

Last edited by Randy Redman; 07-21-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Make sure that the wires are CAN + and CAN - are twisted together.. It just ain't for looks.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 AM
JN1971
1st Gear

Hi
I am currently touring solo away from home , and my bike 2019 SGS has exactly this problem , I am just wondering is it safe to ride home about 300miles or is it something that needs urgent attention?

Old 06-17-2020, 01:52 PM
kim hrabak
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bcm

Originally Posted by Randy Redman

This stuff is amazing when you have to strip off all the other wiring harness.

what is the name of your video

The following users liked this post:
dynaholic77 (08-01-2022)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:34 PM
INTHEWIND1981
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I just had bars installed on my 2020 Street Glide Special and I'm getting a bcm code U0125. The bike runs great though. I've been researching it and this seems to be an uncommon code. Supposedly a loss of comms code. It won't clear and comes right back. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of Comms BCM codes