Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 and Rush 3" slipon tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:57 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

FWIW, the firecracker feature addresses deceleration pop. It enrichens from high rpm, closed throttle decel, down to just ABOVE idle rpm. Like when rolling off the throtttle going down hill, especially for long durations. Idle fueling should be completely separate from decel fueling.
Bob

Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 2,939 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
FWIW, the firecracker feature addresses deceleration pop. It enrichens from high rpm, closed throttle decel, down to just ABOVE idle rpm. Like when rolling off the throtttle going down hill, especially for long durations. Idle fueling should be completely separate from decel fueling.
Bob
Yeah, I figure it's just residual fuel sometimes making the rich smell. As I said, I don't smell it all the time when idling or coming to a stop.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

The FP3 is one of the best products I have purchased in recent years. It has saved me more than it cost in dealer maintenance department charges and improved the performance of my bike--a 2017 Superlow 1200T. HOWEVER, I agree with your suggestion that V&H needs to publish an updated Owners Manual; the one currently on-line and doesn't reflect how the FP3 screens operate. Furthermore, V&H doesn't respond to text or e-mail contacts very quickly, and their responses are often incomplete and don't solve the problem. The customer service hot line is staffed with people who know what they doing and address the issue you called them about, but it can be hard to get in.

On to decel popping. After installing V&H 3-inch slip-on mufflers and a HD Stage 1 air cleaner, I installed the existing V&H map for this combination. I experienced significant decel popping. By "playing" with the screens on the FP3, I found the "firecracker" decel popping adjustment and upgraded the V&H map with a one firecracker adjustment. It helped but not much. The next day, I upgrade the V&H map with a two firecracker adjustment. It helped a little more, but didn't solve the decel popping completely. Yesterday I upgraded the V&H map with a three firecracker adjustment. The throttle response became erratic; the engine didn't run as smoothly, and the engine warning light came on. I stopped the bike and used the error code feature to find out what was the problem. The code response was that the fuel--air mixture was too rich. I set the V&H map back to a two firecracker setting, and this appears to provide minimum decel popping; good throttle response, and very satisfying performance. I have a request in to V&H to analyze my issue to see if a custom V&H map can be developed; still haven't hear back. In a worst case situation, I can live with the V&H standard map with a two firecracker adjustment. I am also very impressed with the ability of the FP3 to provide a simple to install map for the HD ECM and its ability to read error codes. It places a lot of tools in an owner's hands to easily install and work on performance upgrades.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the FP3 and recommend it. But, V&H needs to make a robust owner's manual available and improve its customer service department capabilities.

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 01-28-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: wording errors
Old 01-29-2019, 12:47 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey everyone!

With the launch of our Fuelpak Pro and its utilization of the FP3 App, we created and uploaded a new user manual for the FP3 and App on our website a few weeks ago. Here is the link that should sort out most of the issues you guys are experiencing, and hopefully clear up any misunderstandings: https://fuelpak.vanceandhines.com/me..._2019_REVB.pdf

Along with the updated user manual, app, and the ability to dyno tune an FP3 with the Fuelpak Pro, we are also going to be doing #FuelpakFriday on Instagram. This will be done every week starting this Friday and act as a way to answer one on one questions, showcase new features or updates, and it will be something that I'll personally be managing/curating for the foreseeable future.

Bryan
Brand Manager, Electronics

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

Thank you for the information. I downloaded the updated User Manual; my initial scan indicates it should help.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

I worked with mark in Customer Service this morning. WHAT A GUY! Since the firecracker adjustments didn't work on my bike, he created a new map for me and downloaded it to my Maps List. He then stayed on the line with me as I flashed it to my ECM. I took the bike for a short test ride, and it ran well.

The FP3 is an amazing product; V&H use of technology is an example of how technology can be used in practical situations.

Thanks for the help and creating a great product.

FYI to Other FP3 users. Don't settle for anything less than a map that works well on your bike. V&H can do amazing work over your phone and the internet.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:44 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
I worked with mark in Customer Service this morning. WHAT A GUY! Since the firecracker adjustments didn't work on my bike, he created a new map for me and downloaded it to my Maps List. He then stayed on the line with me as I flashed it to my ECM. I took the bike for a short test ride, and it ran well.

The FP3 is an amazing product; V&H use of technology is an example of how technology can be used in practical situations.

Thanks for the help and creating a great product.

FYI to Other FP3 users. Don't settle for anything less than a map that works well on your bike. V&H can do amazing work over your phone and the internet.
Thanks Jim! Mark is an awesome Customer Service rep and I'm glad he was able to get you sorted.

We've been working hard to revamp the app's UI, add that user manual I linked earlier, and spent the past two years developing the Fuelpak Pro so that you can now dyno tune utilizing wide band sensors along with an FP3. Cheyne and I are still talking about the updated UI changes to the app, and I think we're likely going to make a few tweaks for easier navigation, links to instructional videos, and maybe a few fun toys here and there. I did a screen recorded video in the dyno yesterday to show off how the AutoTune Preview button works to display VE Table Delta tables, and how to determine when a map is complete. I'll be posting it on Instagram for #FuelpakFriday later today, continue to publish new content ever week, and we'll store them in a few other places to build up a library of resources to reference.

Bryan
Brand Manager, Electronics

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (02-04-2019)