Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 and Rush 3" slipon tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,396 Likes on 2,934 Posts
Default V&H FP3 and Rush 3" slipon tuning

I have a '17 883 SuperLow, stock airbox and Rush 3" slipons with the 1.75" baffle.

I flashed the ECM with V&H MAP for the Twin Slash slipons with the standard baffle (which is what I've read is a good place to start), and there is no other choice other than that with a hi flow air cleaner. Bike runs great other than it pops on decel ever so often. It has even popped once when I started it.

Thinking it was still slightly lean I flashed the bike again with the MAP for the Twin Slash and the competition baffle. If anything the popping was slightly worse and the exhaust smelled a little rich. I went back to the MAP for the standard baffle. I guess I'm kind of stumped, is the popping caused by a lean condition, or an overly rich one? I suppose I could go back to the V&H stock MAP and see what happens...

Anyone else experienced this problem and figured out what needed to be done to stop the popping on decel? The popping isn't excessive, just would like to get rid of it.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If I remember correctly, on the FP3 there is a decel pop setting. I believe there's three settings for it. If that's doesn't fix it, contact V&H and they can help you with a new map.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:28 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
If I remember correctly, on the FP3 there is a decel pop setting. I believe there's three settings for it. If that's doesn't fix it, contact V&H and they can help you with a new map.
Thanks for the info, how/where do you access the decel pop setting?

I have emailed V&H twice about this, seems they don't want to respond to me since I don't have their pipes/mufflers on the bike.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have an FP3 but I've installed a few and set the decel pop setting on a Softail Slim a few weeks ago, so I know it's there. You're gonna have to play with to find the setting. Look for the little dynamite stick icons.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
I don't have an FP3 but I've installed a few and set the decel pop setting on a Softail Slim a few weeks ago, so I know it's there. You're gonna have to play with to find the setting. Look for the little dynamite stick icons.
So when I find the decel settings, I assume I want to increase the fuel mixture? From what I've just been reading, you want to increase the fuel at the approximate rpm the popping is happening?

Again, thanks for your input!

UPDATE: I found the settings. I went up to one firecracker to start with, heading out to see if it was enough to stop the popping.

Last edited by firehawk6; 08-31-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Success... Changing the MAP to one firecracker (or whatever they are) eliminated about 99% of the popping. I can live with it they way it is now as changing to two firecrackers might be more than is needed.

Hey, V&H if you're listening, how about a manual for the FP3 showing AND explaining all the features? That would be nice...

Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 AM
nom4d88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you flash the ECM back with V&H stock map or with V&H map for the Twin Slash Slipons with the Std Baffle ? when you changed the decel pop setting.

I have Softail Slim S 2017, highflow airfilter, Rush Slipons with 2" baffle..the same problem like you had. I will do the decel pop setting later, and now I still use the V&H Map for the Twin Slash slipons standard baffle.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nom4d88
So did you flash the ECM back with V&H stock map or with V&H map for the Twin Slash Slipons with the Std Baffle ? when you changed the decel pop setting.

I have Softail Slim S 2017, highflow airfilter, Rush Slipons with 2" baffle..the same problem like you had. I will do the decel pop setting later, and now I still use the V&H Map for the Twin Slash slipons standard baffle.
I went with the V&H MAP for the Twin Slash and high flow aircleaner since the bike has a Screaming Eagle Stage 1 on it. Still have a slight pop on partial throttle decel, nothing when throttle is fully closed. I just live with it since the bike runs so well.

Last edited by firehawk6; 01-21-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Go to 2 fire crackers or even 3 to get rid of all the decal pop. I use 3 on my tune.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:23 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Go to 2 fire crackers or even 3 to get rid of all the decal pop. I use 3 on my tune.
Going to 1 firecracker got me to where I am now, I tried 2 and 3 firecrackers and it made no difference other than the bike smelling rich at idle. Which makes sense since from what I've read the FP3 firecracker settings richen up the mixture when closing the throttle to make the mixture too rich to burn in the hot headpipes.

Even running at 1 firecracker I can ever so often detect (smell) a rich mixture when sitting at idle, which is fine with me as it's better than running lean. Bike runs great, oil and head temps are good, plugs look good, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 and Rush 3" slipon tuning