Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Any hope in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Buck Diablo
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuner Update

Thanks for the info guys.
I looked into the Dobeck Performance tuner, and they'll sell the non-CA tuner if you sign a release. (so I did).
It's on order, I'll post back after I get it installed and tested.

Thanks for the dyno info too!
I'll keep that in mind.
Buck

Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,232 Likes on 3,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Diablo
I'm unlucky enough to reside in CA, and I can't get a tuner that's worth a crap. They're all severely limited as what you can do. I have the SE "Street Tuner", I downloaded the one lousy map provide into my '17 Roadster (with high flow air filter and SE mufflers) and it's running lean as hell. Spark plugs are WHITE.
Is there ANY way of getting a good tuner in CA?
Since they took the lead out of the gas, the plugs are supposed to be white...

The following users liked this post:
soft 02 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:26 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Diablo
Thanks for the info guys.
I looked into the Dobeck Performance tuner, and they'll sell the non-CA tuner if you sign a release. (so I did).
It's on order, I'll post back after I get it installed and tested.

Thanks for the dyno info too!
I'll keep that in mind.
Buck
Good company. They have great customer support from what I've been told. I called with one question and got an immediate response.

Had my Dobeck for about 6,000 miles now and it's been flawless.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,255 Likes on 8,518 Posts

Sellers will ship non-ca tuner if you specify "for race purposes only". I got mine from Revzilla 2 years ago. Also check Ebay they are cheaper. If that fails ride to Nevada and buy one. You can set it back to stock tune for warranty work or any inspection.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Buck Diablo
Intermediate

Good to know about Revzilla. But I think some of the tuners read the VIN#, and may not work on a CA bike. (depends on how clever the software jocks are). It could be a gamble! But I have a Dobeck on the way, it doesn't look at the ECM, just the injectors.
thanks,
Buck

Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 AM
Buster
Tourer
Received 265 Likes on 134 Posts

I went online recently and purchased an FP3 from revzilla, I received ot in about a week, I'm running the "out of state " version, DK Custom 587 hi-flow filter, with vented breather bolts and a Cobra 2into1.
my Dyna is running sweet!

Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

If you get to the point you feel the Dobeck device isn't working for you I feel you will be best served with a full-feature tuning tool and a tuner to get the most from your bike.
Things like startup fueling, decel backfiring, timing, acceleration enrichment, decel enleanment, and over 300 fueling and timing tuning points for front and rear cylinders are what is available with a proper tuner.
If what you are looking for is an acceptable running bike without knowing how close or how far from "best running" you are then a screwdriver/push button tuner may work for you.
Bob

Old 09-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Buck Diablo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vallejo Don
I went online recently and purchased an FP3 from revzilla, I received ot in about a week, I'm running the "out of state " version, DK Custom 587 hi-flow filter, with vented breather bolts and a Cobra 2into1.
my Dyna is running sweet!
Don, how did you get Revzilla to sell you the non-CA tuner? The website says they won't ship to CA. Does the non-CA FP3 work on the CA bike? (I'm assuming the bike was originally sold in CA which is stored in the VIN #).

Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Buck Diablo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
If you get to the point you feel the Dobeck device isn't working for you I feel you will be best served with a full-feature tuning tool and a tuner to get the most from your bike.
Things like startup fueling, decel backfiring, timing, acceleration enrichment, decel enleanment, and over 300 fueling and timing tuning points for front and rear cylinders are what is available with a proper tuner.
If what you are looking for is an acceptable running bike without knowing how close or how far from "best running" you are then a screwdriver/push button tuner may work for you.
Bob

Bob, it sounds like you have a lot of experience with these things. Do you have a preference for tuners? I have the CA version of the S.E. "Street Tuner", but it's very limited as to what you can do. I have the "stage one" upgrades (hi flow air filter and S.E. mufflers) on my '17 Roadster, and there's one map for that. I did the recording thing and created another map from that, but I didn't feel any difference from the basic map.
My spark plugs are very white, but someone else here says that's normal for unleaded gas... Not sure about that one. The bike runs good, but I'm not feeling any power gain and I do have a fair amount of decel pops, which is another highly debated subject... (but that also happened when the bike was bone-stock). Thanks for the info, Buck

Old 09-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Where are you located at? Plenty of people that can help you out just need to know where to send you.

Quick Reply: Any hope in CA?