Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2014 Sportster iron 883 SESTP super tuner pro race tuner ECM remap/tuning

Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus9x9
Hi Guys,

I have converted the stock AC to a spear AC and filter bullt-in breather bolts. Crankcase oil vapor is apparently spitting off the bolts. Oil spots are present on the fuel tank, right side cover and on the AC. On the air cleaner when riding in town. Is this caused by the lean condition the bike is in right now? The mileage is around 5000 miles.
Sounds like either an improper installation or a show piece that is not designed to keep crankcase oil vapor inside the engine.
Bob

Old 11-02-2017, 11:51 AM
marcus9x9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done 4 recordings and programmed the bike 4 times. When selecting a recording to customize the VE table, should I select only the latest recording, or all the recordings that was done for the specific calibration from the start? How many recordings are needed before its near to completion?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:53 AM
marcus9x9
Intermediate

There are 3 lookup tables. Original, last saved and working. Is the original lookup table, the lookup table for the stock setup?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 AM
marcus9x9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Sounds like either an improper installation or a show piece that is not designed to keep crankcase oil vapor inside the engine.
Bob
What would you recommend an external crankcase breathing system that works well.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I would use all 4 of the recordings. Did you update and save the tune with the log each time you flashed it?

The original table will be the tune as supplied by HD. The working will be the tune after you update it with the logs. The last saved will be be your tune the last time you saved it. Save it with a different file name.
Then flash it again and keep tuning until you get 5% or less in VE changes.

Breather KIT-
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/comp...-aci-ev-br.htm

or a kit from Hammer-
http://www.hammerperf.com/xlaircleaners.shtml

Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
marcus9x9
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shanneba
I would use all 4 of the recordings. Did you update and save the tune with the log each time you flashed it?

The original table will be the tune as supplied by HD. The working will be the tune after you update it with the logs. The last saved will be be your tune the last time you saved it. Save it with a different file name.
Then flash it again and keep tuning until you get 5% or less in VE changes.

Breather KIT-
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/comp...-aci-ev-br.htm

or a kit from Hammer-
http://www.hammerperf.com/xlaircleaners.shtml
Yes I updated the VE table after each recording. The recordings are automatically saved after they are downloaded and given a name. Yes, I have saved each tuning file before the ECM is re-programmed. I have 11 recording sets and 11 tuning files. On the 10th recording update, all the VE values were below 5% from the last saved values.Then I updated the ECM and did another recording to see if it would still be below 5% in the next update. Apparently, 3-4 VE cells were above 5% in the 11th recording update. How should I proceed with this?

Old 11-04-2017, 03:07 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior

I would update the VEs ,flash the tune and do another recording to check for 5% differences.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:45 AM
marcus9x9
Intermediate

The difference was 2.2% highest on the front and rear VEs in the last recording (12th). 6 cells above 1%. All others below 1%. I will continue to record until I get 3 consecutive < 5%. Is this okay?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior

Sounds like a good plan.

How much better is the bike running now? Are your VE's higher or lower than the original tune?

Old 11-06-2017, 04:45 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Once you get to where you are there will be no improvements in the areas you have tuned to death, lol.
If you have not hit some areas where you “might” end up ie: due to starting off in second gear rather than first = low rpm high load...it pays to have this area tuned well.
Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Sportster iron 883 SESTP super tuner pro race tuner ECM remap/tuning