Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Vance and Hines FP3

Old 10-29-2017, 08:32 AM
tlfreak
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance and Hines FP3

Just replaced replaced my bad power commander with a FP3. With just a basic map it starts and runs better than it ever did with the pc5! V+H is going
to send me a map for my mods is it possible it could run even better? Only thing that sucks is that its fall,wish it was spring.Hopefully get some riding in before snow.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Once you get their suggestion, install it and then do some Auto tuning to make it even better

Old 10-29-2017, 08:11 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm very happy with the canned map for my set up on FP3...I haven't bothered with auto tuning yet since I'm swapping cams this winter. I plan to auto tune it next spring after the swap.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 AM
tlfreak
Advanced

Just got back from a ride with the map V+H sent me for my mods(103 pistons,.030 head gasket andrews 48h,supertrapp supermeg 2-1)bike runs even better!Can't wait for spring to auto tune!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I'm very happy with the canned map for my set up on FP3...I haven't bothered with auto tuning yet...
I believe you are assuming your bike runs just fine with the canned map. This is understandable since what you have and ride is the best you know, right?
Do some auto-tunes and it will surprise you how much better (response, smoothness, and mileage) your bike can run.
No downsides to auto-tuning your bike, just upsides.
Bob

Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tlfreak
Just got back from a ride with the map V+H sent me for my mods(103 pistons,.030 head gasket andrews 48h,supertrapp supermeg 2-1)bike runs even better!Can't wait for spring to auto tune!
How did you know how many discs to use with the supertrapp supermeg 2-1?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Once you get their suggestion, install it and then do some Auto tuning to make it even better
I installed the FP3 a few months ago....really glad I bought it because it woke my bike up with the V&H recommended map.....however.....how big of a difference would I see in the Auto Tune?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I installed the FP3 a few months ago....really glad I bought it because it woke my bike up with the V&H recommended map.....however.....how big of a difference would I see in the Auto Tune?
If you do the auto tune you will see for yourself what you felt was smooth enough, responsive enough, and just ran good enough, wasn't as good as you thought.
Nothing but good reasons for autotuning, even bone stock bikes, simply because all bikes individually benefit from custom recalibration of fuel and ignition timing.
Noticeable? Yes! Worth learning and/or pay to have it done professionally? Yes and/or yes!
Bob

Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM
tlfreak
Advanced

Originally Posted by GEORGEW
How did you know how many discs to use with the supertrapp supermeg 2-1?
My supertapp has 20 discs and a closed end cap.It started to get a little loud.I pulled a few discs and it wouldnt run past 4k rpm put it back to 20 discs.Thought about it for a week or two,read on supertrapp's website that they don't flow well without packing.Pulled baffle(behind discs,very easy to get out,use last end cap and slide hammer) repacked it and bike was quiet and ran great like when I first put the pipe on!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:49 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I'm very happy with the canned map for my set up on FP3...I haven't bothered with auto tuning yet since I'm swapping cams this winter. I plan to auto tune it next spring after the swap.
From what I've read on VH site, the FP3 doesn't support after market cams. But I've also heard that people have swapped cams and the FP3 supported them fine. What's the official story? I've emailed VH asking but I'm sure someone else knows too. I plan on swapping stock cams for SE 255's in the near future and would like to get the FP3 if it will support them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vance and Hines FP3