Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno and powervision

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:23 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Dyno and powervision

HEY GUYS, I have a Powervision, and a Target Tune, il get a start up map from Jamie, or dynojet, who ever available at that time, question is, last year with the few auto tune sessions, above the tune given to me, seemed great, ran a tad hot, but its a 107, no oil cooler, upgraded pump, so thats ON ME,theres a guy who will dyno, he said it take 6 hours or so, all day, maybe he lets cool down and goes back? Will it benefit me to do this? Or just run the auto-tune sessions, and be fine, like I said I was happy with the 107...this is going to be SS 110 drop in stage 3 or 4 Hillside heads....so he can dyno tune, and have it programmed into my power vision, and target tune, will work to keep it there, is this the best option, for 600 just want to make sure its worth it, I have others who will dent for half, thats more to get a better tune, and a "Brag Sheet" which guy should I go with, and why?????

Old 12-26-2017, 04:41 AM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 577 Likes on 293 Posts

I think a bike that's been Dyno'd by someone who knows what there doing is the best option. Make sure he knows what the build consists of and has experience with your tuner. A good tune does take some time all of mine have been at least 3 hr's.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Just keep in mind street tuning may or may not provide a great running bike depending on a lot of variables.
The absolute best way to do performance enhancements is to at least have a dyno to quantify and evaluate the mods and the performance comparisons to same and other builds.
Just because a box of parts and a “best guess” base map gets installed on a bike, unless a dyno is used to at least check performance, there is nothing but guessing as to how a build/mod produces.
At a minimum I suggest a dyno run to evaluate the results from your street tuning. Many times folks spend the money for the performance but never realize the increases due to lack of precise recalibration of the fueling for that particular bike and its idiosyncrasies that generate need for custom calibration for every bike....unless less-than-optimum performance is acceptable.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Just keep in mind street tuning may or may not provide a great running bike depending on a lot of variables.
The absolute best way to do performance enhancements is to at least have a dyno to quantify and evaluate the mods and the performance comparisons to same and other builds.
Just because a box of parts and a “best guess” base map gets installed on a bike, unless a dyno is used to at least check performance, there is nothing but guessing as to how a build/mod produces.
At a minimum I suggest a dyno run to evaluate the results from your street tuning. Many times folks spend the money for the performance but never realize the increases due to lack of precise recalibration of the fueling for that particular bike and its idiosyncrasies that generate need for custom calibration for every bike....unless less-than-optimum performance is acceptable.
Bob
agreed, and Jamie from FM, even was VERY Upfront about this, I did some auto tunes to tweak his, and the target tune, handles the rest!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

I hear so much, the one guy recommended, wants a DAY to dyno and 699!! seems very excessive, and if its only a few HP more from what I have, ill never feel it, that Powervision, and Target Tune, I dont think gets the credit it deserves, that Closed loop system, is : REAL TIME" And it keeps bike in safe running parameters, like the dyno, with closed loop and some auto tune sessions, the target tune, will get it there, and im sure theres, so SIMILAR universal TUNE they shoot for, which I believe my tuners are programmed to do, unless im wrong?

and no I dont want to settle, but if it's WORTH IT....YOU KNOW??
ahh
CONFUSED!!!!

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 01-02-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,431 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'm curious, how's the target tune determine best timing for peak power with the components installed?

The following users liked this post:
hrdtail78 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
I'm curious, how's the target tune determine best timing for peak power with the components installed?
I'm not sure, I'm coming from a fp3, thats why I'm looking for advice,if my power vision/target tune, will benefit, than ill do, but what about weather changes etc, how does that come into play, when It comes to tuning, I'm a student, at best.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

The PowerVision system does not add timing in it's auto-tuning....in some cases(if you're lucky) it can retard some if the parameters are correct and you have the spark timing function enabled during auto tune. I have not had good luck with this function,,,,,proper timing is essential for optimum performance, and in my opinion, the only way to set it up well is on the dyno. I would suggest that you get the bike tuned by a reputable tuner with a good track records of proven results, after all you did just drop a large chunk of cheese to get it together, do it right and finish the job so that you can get maximum results for yur money. A proper tune can take a fair amount of time, depending on equipment and conditions,,,,,to me 4-6 hours is not an unreasonable time involved for someone that is truly tuning the bike,,,,fueling, timing and road test confirmations.
marco

Old 01-04-2018, 03:09 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
that Powervision, and Target Tune, I dont think gets the credit it deserves, that Closed loop system, is : REAL TIME" And it keeps bike in safe running parameters, like the dyno, with closed loop and some auto tune sessions, the target tune, will get it there, and im sure theres, so SIMILAR universal TUNE they shoot for, which I believe my tuners are programmed to do, unless im wrong?

and no I dont want to settle, but if it's WORTH IT....YOU KNOW??
ahh
CONFUSED!!!!

Real time closed loop has come on stock HD's since 2006. Tuning will do so much more than just showing an increase in HP at WOT. If people think that is what a dyno tune is all about. They are missing the point of the other 90% of the VE table. Sounds to me you bought into the BS advertising, and spent extra money of dumbing down the stock HD Delphi system.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:45 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

here it comes..........

Quick Reply: Dyno and powervision