Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:22 AM
Ivan v
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem

Hello gents, I have a 1988 FXRS Low rider which is giving me some grief. When riding it will accelerate up to 2000 RPM quite well but soon as It reaches the 2000 RPM it stumbles no matter how much you open the throttle. When I back off the throttle to below or anywhere under 2000 RPM it runs fine.
I have replaced spark plugs, ignition leads and the coil with no change. I also believe that the spark I get is nowhere big enough when shorting the ignition lead with the engine. There is no explanation in the workshop manual as to how to check the ignition module
Gratefully Ivan

Old 01-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 560 Posts

Look at fuel delivery or even a vacuum leak. I would be surprised if it was an ignition issue.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

mr. jack is right, check the fuel first. even if the module did not switch curves, it still would run way past 2k, probably to redline, just could cause heat issues under the right conditions.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

I’m guessing a plugged up main jet. Let us all know what you find..

Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 AM
Ivan v
3rd Gear

Today I took the carby out and pulled it to bits, blew every little orifice I could find with compressed air and could not find anything blocked or dirty. I still can not help thinking that my problem is the lack of a good blue ignition spark.
Any thoughts welcome.
Ivan

Old 01-31-2018, 03:52 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Spark is spark. Your not getting enough fuel.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan v
Today I took the carby out and pulled it to bits, blew every little orifice I could find with compressed air and could not find anything blocked or dirty. I still can not help thinking that my problem is the lack of a good blue ignition spark.
Any thoughts welcome.
Ivan
Did you check the float level? Fuel petcock, fuel line. Has the bike been sitting, a little background would help.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 AM
Ivan v
3rd Gear

Today I have checked for fuel flow from the tank by undoing the fuel delivery to the carby and had it going into a large cup. Looking at the flow I think the tank would empty in a matter if a few minutes. I took the bowl off the carby and found it pretty full as it should be.
If there was a vacuum leak it would be noticed mostly at the idle and not at higher rpm.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:05 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Maybe shorting at the switch or VOES maybe , elimination checks will find it man.
Maybe at the stage where it's stumbling see if the choke is by passing , or pull the choke on a little and see if it's better or worse.
It could be your timing plate now that I think of it too ,they sometimes act weird..
You need to nail down of it's fuel or electrics but you know this.
What carb ?
No matter what carb the float should be parrallel to the horizon/base when fuel starts to trickle out the needle and seat, check the seat it might be cactus.

Last edited by badcooky; 02-01-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan v
Today I have checked for fuel flow from the tank by undoing the fuel delivery to the carby and had it going into a large cup. Looking at the flow I think the tank would empty in a matter if a few minutes. I took the bowl off the carby and found it pretty full as it should be.
If there was a vacuum leak it would be noticed mostly at the idle and not at higher rpm.
...Unless the vacuum diaphragm had a leak. Check it!

Quick Reply: Ignition problem