Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 autotune vs. preloaded map

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
I mean, I think they've tested the bassani road rage pipe on a 110 and know how to tune it correctly, no?

what are you guys getting at with the sarcasm...still run the autotune?

V&H was pretty adamant on not doing it.
No sarcasm ...seriously, what do you think happens simply running two tanks of fuel ...I've got a guess for a tune but I hope it gets better on it's own? ...well that's one way to try it I suppose.

I really don't understand why they have an autotune feature, but don't tell people to use it ...like a real tuner would do ...hell their documentation says to do autotune! And so does TTS and Power Vision.

Having said that, maybe there is something that doesn't work right or something. If you do some reading you will find a few threads where people ran autotune and now it doesn't run very well. Maybe the latest updates have improved it, I don't know I switched mine out for something else.

BTW I don't hate the FP3, it (or me) just wasn't good enough for what I wanted.

If you have read anything about tuning then you know that your VE tables need to be tuned and centred first, and then other good tuning stuff. Then you have EFI doing its thing with auto trim to take care of changing environmental conditions etc etc.

Will a so so tune work? ...probably. Have you tuned YOUR bike? ...naw!

Sorry, the short answer should be the same as all the other tuners ...of course you should run autotune or you might as well buy one of those cheaper inline thingies.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

I started with the preloaded map, and I was getting too much popping. Not terrible, but I expected better. I ran it for a few days with the auto tune, and it seems to run better.
I have no issues with mine.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

You have the map that V&H tweaked for you ...just don't overwrite that slot and you can always go back to it

Do a couple or three autotunes, getting lots of green cells, and apply or finish each time.

See which is better, and out of curiosity you can have a look to compare their VE tables to your autotuned one.

EDIT: you could always send them your autotunes results and they can tweak n polish it off for you, which was the blending bit hrdtail78 mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Gordon61; 02-01-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:30 AM
jfrizman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tutorial.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:05 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I got the FP3 for my '15 slim when I went with VH dual's . I haven't done an auto tune or anything an it runs well. I'm swapping cams before riding season so I didn't do an auto tune....figured I'd wait until the cam install. I think the FP3 is a great tuner for someone like me that 's making mods as I go an just wanting a good running nice performing bike. If I planned on going to a tuner an squeezing every hp my bike had to offer I would have gotten the tuner my dyno shop preferred (an I wouldn't be running dual's).

Old 02-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Adam - they are telling you to run two tanks of fuel so that where their map is off, your ECM will trim the adaptive fuel trims. They are able to trim +/- 10% from the VE tables in the ecm. Then, while it's running, the ecm can adjust an additional amount that doesn't get saved - it's just a temporary trim.

In 2006 when O2 sensors came out in Dyna, there was no adaptive fuel, and the system was allowed to trim +/- 40%. So, every time a 2006 dyna was turned off, it forgot the learned trims from the running session.

In 2007 Big Twin, the 10% adaptive trims were built in, and the ECM could also trim an additional 22% that would not be saved to any tables. So, you could have a 32% correction +/-, but only 10% would remain written to the ECM.
Various models and cals have had slightly different max temp trims but they're all in the ballpark I listed.

So, they want you to ride the bike in the hopes that their map is close enough that the 10% will correct for any incorrect areas.
Ideally, you want the VE tables centered (properly tuned by a competent tuner) so that as fuels and weather and a host of other variables change, the adaptive fuel can write the changes to memory.

The key to adaptive fuel is that after it learns, next time you ride the bike the fuels are more accurate and you don't notice bad areas. If their map is close, you will most likely be happy.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain
Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm very happy with it...between the new pipe and the tune, the thing rips.
it's all I can ask for.