Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

A Honest Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 PM
nzhd
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
For the level of mods that you are looking at doing. A flash based tuner is you best bet. The aftermarket is way too focused on air/fuel when in reality that isn't half of what needs to be done to get a bike in a good state of tune.

Load based timing tables and the stock spark retard is much easier for most to deal with over TPS timing tables and no feedback.
Hi, I'm interested in this also. Can you clarify what you said?
Flash based = like pv? Re-wrights the ECU?
Which is a better system for timing and spark? Can you recommend a product?
My mods are a new engine, heads, throttle body, cam 10.25:1 103 in a 2005 softail
I have a pc3 but am thinking if I get no joy with tuning I may upgrade, probably something with a auto tune. I don't have 02 sensors but can fit some.
I just want a reliable well tuned bike.

Thank you.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
That is what a good tuner is supposed to do without going to a dyno tune. Right? I just want decent performance and good MPG.

Not it sure what you mean. A good tuner is only as good as the canned map you load on it. If your mods are simple like exhaust and AC then no need to get professional dyno tune. PV, TTS, Thundermax, FP3 will all work just fine with a canned map with similar mods. When you add cams, head work, throttle body, injectors, higher compression, etc you want to get it professionally tuned to maximize the potential of your build. Sure you can auto tune, but you would be leaving a lot on the table especially if you are using the stock narrowband sensors.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by nzhd
Hi, I'm interested in this also. Can you clarify what you said?
Flash based = like pv? Re-wrights the ECU?
Which is a better system for timing and spark? Can you recommend a product?
My mods are a new engine, heads, throttle body, cam 10.25:1 103 in a 2005 softail
I have a pc3 but am thinking if I get no joy with tuning I may upgrade, probably something with a auto tune. I don't have 02 sensors but can fit some.
I just want a reliable well tuned bike.

Thank you.

A flash based tuner rewrites the stock ECM. This is compared to piggy back systems that don't change the ECM but change the signals coming out of the ECM. Tmax is what I consider a stand alone unit. You do flash it but only with Tmax.

Flash based is what I prefer for 99% of the tunes I do. TTS IMO is the best tuner with the most useful features. It actually address the timing side of tuning like no other tuner on the market. There aren't codes to unlock this feature or that feature. Everybody get the same with TTS. With one data collection run. TTS address's wide band and narrow band VE mapping, Main spark table and spark temp correction, and EGR tables. The rest of them will address wide band and narrow band but not at same time. As for as the other feature of spark and EGR (CDE.) Plenty of threads to read about how they are lacking.

With an 05. You have no o2 feedback. You can buy all the equipment, learn how to tune, and spend the time doing so. Or you can spend the same amount of money. Pay a tuner and have a tuned bike with very little work on your part. Depends if you want to spend time learning and tuning or riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
FLTRI17 (02-24-2018), nzhd (02-22-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:09 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Well put Jason.
Bob

Old 02-24-2018, 02:00 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

That is kinda of what I do not want to do is put my bike on a dynometer. And pay that extra price for a one time tune. I am not looking to squeeze every last piece of horse power out of my ride. That is what a good tuner is supposed to do without going to a dyno tune. Right? I just want decent performance and good MPG. Powervision is looking like what of the majority of the riding population is going with. And. What my "indie" shop is recommended. Although they used to use Thundermax 90% of the time. Que Sera,Sera,
If you are wanting to do it all yourself and have anything other than stock cams I would recommend a TTS, it has a cam tune feature that is not available to the public with the Power Vision. you could get the TTS Mastertune with the communications interface that has analog inputs for wide band o2 sensors. You can get an add on kit for the Power Vision that allows you to run wide band o2 sensors as well, but you still won't have the cam tune abailable

Last edited by harleytuner; 02-24-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Damn typos
Old 02-24-2018, 03:09 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Thanks, harleytuner. It took me a few times reading your post trying to decipher it. I am hoping that you read all my post completely . It seems you understand what I have, where I am coming from and what I am looking for. Not taking my post out of context. Thanks, man.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:20 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, harleytuner. It took me a few times reading your post trying to decipher it. I am hoping that you read all my post completely . It seems you understand what I have, where I am coming from and what I am looking for. Not taking my post out of context. Thanks, man.
Lol, sorry about that, I went back and fixed all the typos. The auto correct on this phone gets me all the time. You'd think I'd learn to proof read before posting.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

harleytuner. Can the TTSMastertune be used without O2 sensors. The reason I ask is that my 07Ultra came with O2 sensors but the previous owner replaced the header pipes with ones that do not have O2 bungs. It is no problem for me to add the bungs. 18mm wide bands? The connectors are still there. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

harleytuner. Can the TTSMastertune be used without O2 sensors. The reason I ask is that my 07Ultra came with O2 sensors but the previous owner replaced the header pipes with ones that do not have O2 bungs. It is no problem for me to add the bungs. 18mm wide bands? The connectors are still there. Thanks.
Yes you can get the standard Mastertuner II and use it without sensors. You would be relying on the canned MAP though and that could be a crap shoot on how, well it would run without getting it tuned. I was under the impression your bike was older, before they came with o2 sensors. You could save some money amd het the standard Mastertune (without analog inputs). Try a canned MAP, if you think it would need improved on you could install a set of stock sensors and Vtune it. Vtune is basically an autotune that uses stock narrow band o2 sensors. TTS has a great user manual you can download and it walks you through the process after by step, cam tune as well.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:39 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

Would I not be better off to add the 18mm wide band sensors and go that route? If I am going to do it I want to do it right.Thanks.

Quick Reply: A Honest Question.