Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

A Honest Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Would I not be better off to add the 18mm wide band sensors and go that route? If I am going to do it I want to do it right.Thanks.
There's benefits to both types of sensors. If you want to do it the best way you would do both, get the TTS with the analog inputs, get wide bands and tune with it. Then when you are done remove the wide bands and replace with the stock narrow bands and run the bike in closed loop.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Remember one thing, you have the owner of TTS (Steve Cole) as an active member of this forum who can assist you with any questions.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

With what you have and what the options are out there. To set up your bike to tune yourself. You are looking at an investment. Time and money. I would also suggest looking into Nick down at Shamrock Cycles in Austin, or GMR up in Fort Worth. Both use TTS. I know Nick uses analog inputs with his TTS tunes and I am pretty sure Steve at GMR does as well.

Nice thing about this is. They will sell you a regular TTS for downloading, and use their shop TTS with analog inputs for collecting data. Plus no learning on your part. When they are done. All you have to do is ride it.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:11 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
With what you have and what the options are out there. To set up your bike to tune yourself. You are looking at an investment. Time and money. I would also suggest looking into Nick down at Shamrock Cycles in Austin, or GMR up in Fort Worth. Both use TTS. I know Nick uses analog inputs with his TTS tunes and I am pretty sure Steve at GMR does as well.

Nice thing about this is. They will sell you a regular TTS for downloading, and use their shop TTS with analog inputs for collecting data. Plus no learning on your part. When they are done. All you have to do is ride it.
He mentioned he didnt want to get it tuned on a dyno but rather get a ECM tuner where he can get decent performance and good mpg. I think when he sees the overall cost of the TTS and the with wideband sensors and the work that it takes to learn and get it up to par, he might just take your advice and see one of the recommended shops.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
He mentioned he didnt want to get it tuned on a dyno but rather get a ECM tuner where he can get decent performance and good mpg. I think when he sees the overall cost of the TTS and the with wideband sensors and the work that it takes to learn and get it up to par, he might just take your advice and see one of the recommended shops.
It won't be the least expensive way to go, but getting a TTS, cables and the wide bands isn't much different than getting the Thundermax as far as cost goes. Any of them you will need to learn so that's a moot point. TTS does have the best manuals in the industry though so should make learning the TTS easier than the others. He could get a great tune with the regular TTS (without analog input) and stock narrow bands. The wide bands and the analog input TTS would just help dial in the VE's faster. Regardless, TTS will give him the ability to change the IVC and IVO cam settings with the software that is available, no need to have a MAP edited by a vendor.

Taking it to a shop is definitely the advice I would give, but the OP stated early on that he's wanting to do it himself, which is what I was basing my recommendations off of.