Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

12’ Iron 883 rough idle/backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM
gj_magi
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12’ Iron 883 rough idle/backfiring

Hey All,
I recently picked up my first Harley; a 2012 Iron 883. It does not run well whatsoever. It idles horribly and consistently backfires through the intake, it also does not respond to throttle inputs. After much troubleshooting and research, I believe the problem to be that the previous owner installed a SE Heavy Breather without bothering to tune it. I have been an auto mechanic for the last decade and never experienced a car run so badly after a simple intake mod, so I didn’t really consider it an issue until I came across a post about it, but I guess such a smaller engine reacts differently to a smaller change in intake volume.

So my question to you guys is if in your experience, have you heard of my bikes symptoms and do you guys believe it to be a problem with the AFR?

Ideally, I’d like to find a oem intake to run for now until I buy some exhaust and tuner to compliment the SE intake. I’d even trade the SE for an OEM at this point. I just wanna ride the bike.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The air cleaner shouldn’t make it run THAT bad. But yes, it should be tuned. Check for intake leaks, fuel pressure and stored codes.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Do you have any stored codes?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...des-dtc-s.html

Are you sure it wasn't tuned after the intake or just guessing?

How long was it sitting before you bought it? Could the gas be bad?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:14 PM
gj_magi
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shanneba
Do you have any stored codes?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...des-dtc-s.html

Are you sure it wasn't tuned after the intake or just guessing?

How long was it sitting before you bought it? Could the gas be bad?
Hi Shanneba, I am pretty sure it’s not tuned, if by chance it was flash tuned, is it possible that was erased by now after having say with a dead battery for years? Also, is it possible to flash tune the stock ecm without requiring any component to remain on the bike?

I would imagine it has only seen 3 tanks of gas in its life with only 330 miles on it. The previous owner wasn’t the one that put the intake on it as he got the bike in a trade and wasn’t really interested in it, nor did he ride it. He told me he did change the gas and spark plugs though, and I have since emptied and filled the gas tank twice and ran Lucas fuel system cleaner through it the first tank, and sea foam the second tank.

As far as stored codes, I haven’t pulled any yet, and I erroneusly attempted to do the jump terminal thing and blew the ignition fuse.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:21 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

You don’t jumper the data plug to get the codes. A simple search will disclose how to retrieve codes using the speedometer.
You left out the part that it has sat dormant for most it’s life. That leads us to fuel pump and injector clogging as possibilities.
If it’s been flash tuned, nothing stays on the bike. Current download number can also be accessed through speedo. Sounds like you really need the service manual.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM
gj_magi
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jbarr1
You don’t jumper the data plug to get the codes. A simple search will disclose how to retrieve codes using the speedometer.
You left out the part that it has sat dormant for most it’s life. That leads us to fuel pump and injector clogging as possibilities.
If it’s been flash tuned, nothing stays on the bike. Current download number can also be accessed through speedo. Sounds like you really need the service manual.
You’re right jbarr1, I absolutely do need the service manual. I will look up the proper way to pull codes and report back. I am also thinking it’s possible that my problem could be the combination of fuel system clogging coupled with the slight increase in air intake. I’ll find the download number as well and report back. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 03:48 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior

How to pull the codes is in the link in my last post.
Just like a ODBII car, codes will not clear when power is lost.

If it was flashed with a tune from the dealer it would not have any additional parts left on the bike.

It could also have been flashed with a HD tuner, Harley or aftermarket (like Power Vision) you didn't get with the bike and do not need to run it.

Sitting with a dead battery would not cause a "loss" of the tune. The Tune is stored in Non-volatile RAM, NVRAM or written to EPROM.

Last edited by shanneba; 04-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM
gj_magi
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shanneba
How to pull the codes is in the link in my last post.
Just like a ODBII car, codes will not clear when power is lost.

If it was flashed with a tune from the dealer it would not have any additional parts left on the bike.

It could also have been flashed with a HD tuner, Harley or aftermarket (like Power Vision) you didn't get with the bike and do not need to run it.

Sitting with a dead battery would not cause a "loss" of the tune. The Tune is stored in Non-volatile RAM, NVRAM or written to EPROM.
Thanks Shanneba, you really know your stuff!
I just recorded the stores codes and man it’s a lengthy list.

P0122 - TPS Low
P0131 - Front o2 low
P0151 - Rear o2 low
P0373 - CKP sensor intermittent
P0374 - CKP sync error
P0501 - VSS low
P0502 - VSS High/open
P0505 - Loss of idle speed control
P1001 - System relay coil open/low
U1301 - Serial Data open/high

Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the ignition and turn the run switch on?

I would check your system relay and make sure the terminals are clean.

Many of the codes you have could be from a very low battery voltage.
I would clear the codes and see if it idles better.

You may have a intake manifold leak, be ready to test with a spray cleaner or lubricant.

Fire up the motorcycle and hold it at a steady RPM (2000). Using an aerosol lubricant or cleaner (being careful of painted parts) spray all possible leak points, one at a time. If the bike revs up or dies when an area is sprayed, it has a leak and needs to be repaired.

Manifold Leak
Note: If manifold leak is large enough, the
IAC closes and DTC P0505 sets.

Before taking any long rides I would suggest changing your brake fluid. Should be flushed every two years.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 PM
gj_magi
3rd Gear

UPDATE: I found someone to lend me an oem intake and put it on today and cleared the codes from the last list. I also changed out the fuel in the tank again as it had 87 in it and I refilled it with 93.

Despite these changes, the same problems persist. The bike starts for a few seconds (5-20 sec) and then stalls. It still doesn’t respond to smooth/slow throttle inputs; only quick consecutive rolls to get the rpms up. Once the rpms do get up the engine sounds great, but as soon as I stop quickly rolling on the throttle and let it come down to idle, it starts sputtering and backfiring (less than before) and dies.

Since clearing the codes, the only code that has returned is P0502 - VSS open/high.

I tried spraying carb cleaner around intake seals and found no surging consistent with my spraying.

To answer shanneba, yes I do hear the fuel pump running when putting key forward, and I’m not familiar with normal operation but there is a consistent sort of “hiss” from somewhere in/around the tank while it is running. Is that normal?

Last edited by gj_magi; 04-18-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 12’ Iron 883 rough idle/backfiring