Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fuel injector not working/ wont prime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:11 AM
NorseRider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fuel injector not working/ wont prime?

Brand new to the forum, so Im sorry if this has been asked/posted before!
Only been riding for about a year. I bought a 2009 Super glide Custom and for a year everything was gravy. But now I cant get the bike to start, the battery is fully charged (have had it hooked up to a battery tender) it seems to want to turn over (like a chugging sound). I dont hear the whining sound it used to make, which I'm assuming is the fuel pump. A buddy of mine suggested that my ecm might be fried? Im on a fairly tight budget and was hopping one of you more experienced riders might have some insight for me?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:51 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

well, no pump, no run!
check simple things like fusing and relays. try and direct run the pump to see if it will run. if it does, then check fuel pressure. redneck test would be to spritz some fuel into the throttle body and see if it will run, then go from there.
if it runs and then shuts off with no start, check crank position sensor because without pulse from it, the ecu shuts down the pump.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Very doubtful the ecm is bad. Or the fuel pump. Change the battery in your fob, if you have one.
If it's the original battery, it's probably toast, whether it was on a tender or not. Get it completely charged (with a charger, not the tender) and get it load tested. Also check the tightness and cleanliness of the battery and ground cables.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

If all fuses are good does fuel pump come on for 2 seconds at key on then turn off?

If so, if bike has a tach, look for about 300 rpm while cranking. If no tach, you'lll have to check sensor.

If no rpm signal, it's not uncommon for CKP sensor to go out. It needs a signal from that sensor to turn the pump back on.

It s not the fob battery because if the alarm was on, it would not crank.

If pump doesn't turn on at all at keyup - double check fuses, connections etc. Check for voltage to pump. It will be present for about 2 seconds at keyup then go away.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-23-2018 at 06:34 PM.