Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 autotune question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Default FP3 autotune question.

I have a 2016 RGS and I was trying some auto tuning yesterday and got some good results.I hit the apply changes after I was done.So later that day I wanted to do another autotune and noticed a third map was loaded.I have the stock harley map.The map I picked a year ago and one now says autotune.Before I started the first autotune session It had me pick the map I wanted to autotune so I picked the map I’ve been running for a year.And I have hit the finished button to apply the changes.I want to autotune today and it wants me to choose a map. I’m thinking I should choose the autotune map to keep building on it???
Or should I start over and hit the finish button when I’m truly finished??
Thank you in advance.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Idahokid
Road Master

I was told to use the map labeled autotune to keep building on it.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Idahokid
Road Master

Delete please.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, choose the AutoTune map and continue building on it.

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Idahokid
Road Master

I now have four slots being used.I should have auto tuned once and applied or finished.If I autotune again it will be my last one.Runnng out of slots unless I figure out how to delete the autotunes and start over.The bike runs really will.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to hit apply not finish, that is your issue. Once you hit apply the cells will all turn white again, but the previous tune will all be saved. It will only add to your tune, not take away. More time, more runs = better tune.

Finish will close out your session and new data will not be saved over it.

Idahokid (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Idahokid
Road Master

I was able to delete my first autotune and leave the second.I won’t hit finish until I’m finished next time.Thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

With the FP3, each "Finished" Autotune session can only change certain parameters of your tune by up to 10%, no matter how many times you hit "Apply" during the session. So while hitting apply during the session does apply the learned values, if your tune needs more then the 10% adjustment in those areas, "Finishing" and starting a new session is the only way it will be achieved.

Last edited by Rocker B; 04-22-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Idahokid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rocker B
With the FP3, each "Finished" Autotune session can only change certain parameters of your tune by up to 10%, no matter how many times you hit "Apply" during the session. So while hitting apply during the session does apply the learned values, if your tune needs more then the 10% adjustment in those areas, "Finishing" and starting a new session is the only way it will be achieved.
I understand.Thanks for the education.I’ll run longer tunes.Mostly green in the middle and some on the top end.Here in Idaho we have plenty of running room and twisties.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:40 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
With the FP3, each "Finished" Autotune session can only change certain parameters of your tune by up to 10%, no matter how many times you hit "Apply" during the session.
A single autotune process/run/session/series of learned cells on the hits screen/call it what you want can calculate a change in VE cell value by up to about about 15%.

If the required change to the tune is greater than this then you need to run the autotune process at least a second time to see if any further change is required.

As with all autotune variants across all of the different tuners, you basically keep at it until changes are down to a couple of percent or so, then, that is as good as you are going to get it without chasing your tail forever.

The FP3 is not very good at telling you how much the VE cells have changes so you kind of don't really have a clue how tight the tune is ...without manually comparing two saved slots (i.e. finished tunes). Vance and Hines basically cheats, by telling you to do at least 3 autotune thingies ...which should be good enough (cough)

Apply - ends one single autotune thingy, overwrites the starting VE tables in the memory of the autotune process with any learned cells so far, resets the learned data table and clears the hits screen ...but leaves the FP3 in autotune mode and starts a second autotune thingy

Finish - does exactly the same thing, except, it makes a new tune and asks you which slot you want to save it in (you can overwrite any of the slots except slot 0 ...so overwrite the oldest one if there are no free ones left). It then exits autotune mode and flashes the new map into the EFI.

Last edited by Gordon61; 04-23-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: typo
Sam D. (05-16-2018)

Quick Reply: FP3 autotune question.