Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 - keep getting p1010 dtc

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FP3 - keep getting p1010 dtc

so I removed a terrys module and installed the FP3. updated my unit, then flashed using their premade flash for my setup. now when I start the bike. I turn to run wait til the engine lamps goes out then start. I get the engine lamp for about 5 seconds then it goes out and leaves the dtc P1010 when i scan. Incorrect password. can anyone share any insight on this. did email V&H but never heard back. Thanks
Dieselsoftail

Wanted to add this is a 2009 heritage softail

Last edited by Dieselsoftail; 06-14-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer

soooo, no ones had any issue with this code and the FP3?? or seen this code? know how to deal with it??

Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Big Block 17
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you return the ECM to the stock settings. I think the fp3 needs to start with the stock calibration.
BTW, I emailed V&H also for some help & haven't heard from them either.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer

yeah first thing it did was update the software in the FP3 and it downloaded the factory default. which it shows stored in the first slot and the my flash under that.. still havent heard anything

Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Ultra.classic
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having very similar issues with my FP3 on my '08 ultra classic. Installed last year. Occasionally the bike would die right after startup. V & H tech support said it was a known issue, and to run the bike with the FP3 unplugged. Since then, the problem has progressed to hard starting occasionally, with a very rough idle and 0 throttle response. Shutting the bike off, unplugging the FP3, and restarting seems to be the fix. Today it happened again. Now the codes I pulled are P1010 (missing password) P1511 (ETC power management Mode) and P2135 (TPS correlation error). The bike does have 45k miles on it, so its definitely a possibility of a sensor/part failure. But, these problems all started with the FP3 install, and can be made to go away (generally) if the thing is unplugged.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer

Mine seems to store the doc and after starting the engine light stays on for about 5 seconds. Off and on do I get a hard start. So I've been dealing with it and have stopped try VH. I do leave it plugged in just in case I wanna try the auto tune.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Ultra.classic
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines about the same. VH has been somewhat helpful. With the other codes I found today, I'm wondering if it's not so much a problem with the mapping, but a problem with the throttle pack part. I put mine back to as stock as I can figure, and will try it out.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Dieselsoftail
Tourer

I've only seen a long crank really after say getting gas at the beginning of a ride. But never a drivability issue. Plus like I said before the engine light for say 5 seconds and go out,p1010. Also if I don't wait when first starting til the engine light goes out I've had it cut out but will restart. But I usually do that on every start up. Put to run til pump stops priming and engine lamp goes out then crank over. Always p1010 stored

Old 08-02-2018, 03:34 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Take your bike,to the dealer and get it flashed back to the calibration that the bike was delivered with.
Then try to use the fp3 again. Most tuners out there do not completely rewrite the entire calibration. Some tuners will update just the changes to the fueling and/or timing which will, for sure, cause issues, by leaving the rest of the calibration unupdated which could have been changed from previous changes with a different tuner, including factory updates.
HTH,
Bob

Old 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had the P1010 come up once - the first week after I installed the V&H FP3.

The previous owner of my 2009 Ultra Classic installed an SE intake, V&H Monster Ovals, and had a Power Commander V to manage the EFI. It worked good... a few pops on decel, but nothing major. I considered having a local independent shop perform a dyno tune... but the price was over half what I would pay for the FP3 with auto-tune. Then if I ever changed anything I'd have to pay for another tune... or bite the bullet and get something with auto-tune. So, I got the FP3.

I initially couldn't get it to auto-tune... but after contacting V&H, they pointed out that the PCV would have had O2 sensor deletes on the bike. After removing the O2 deletes, I was able to get the bike to auto-tune. After several hours riding around, most cells were tuned. I flashed the tune and left the FP3 connected.

A few days later I started the bike in a hurry (before the system check was completed)... it fired up and died. This had never happened with the PCV, but I cranked it again and started riding home. All seemed ok, but the radio displayed "Diagnostic Active Keyboard Disabled"... and there was no sound from the radio. I pulled over, turned the bike off... restarted and all was good. After the bike was parked for a couple hours, I started it and the Check Engine Light was on for like 5 seconds... I pulled the code and it was P1010. I cleared the code and have not had it come up again (about 3 weeks now). However, occasionally it will still display "Diagnostic Active Keyboard Disabled".

It seemed to me today that the message comes up mostly when I move the ignition to run and hit the starter, but forget to move the thumb-switch from stop to run first. When I came back home I tried it about 5 times and 3 or so of them received the "Diagnostic Active Keyboard Disabled" message when I move the ignition to run before flipping the thumb-switch. I've since removed the the FP3... left the tune, just disconnected the device. I tried again several times and couldn't recreate the "Diagnostic Active Keyboard Disabled" message.

I've not made any changes to the tune... just loaded the V&H recommended tune and flashed the auto-tune after most of the cells were tuned. I've considered trying different Throttle Progressivity settings, but I've not tinkered with it yet.

My intention was to remove the FP3 after everything was setup... I just hadn't done it yet. So, I'll run it without the FP3 attached for a while to see how it goes.

Ride Safely!
John.

Last edited by MegaJohn; 08-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: FP3 - keep getting p1010 dtc