Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 Road King High Idle

Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
kresnanto
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Road King High Idle

I have 99 road King that start giving me slightly high idle when started and stay high. (It was high when I just start it and goes low after I blimp it a couple time).
The bike it self is running fine but I just dont feel it right when stopping and hearing the engine running high.
Can someone give me advise on how to adjust it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't say but I assume you have EFI. Is it running faster than the 950-1150 RPM value? If so, may want to get it checked since one of the sensors may be providing false inputs to the ECM and it's over-compensating the idle speed because of it. Check for any trouble codes in the self-test may also direct you to the problem. It may be just time for a periodic "tweak" of the ECM's idle speed, though.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM
kresnanto
Novice

Yes it is Injection and I just notice that the engine run higher and higher like racing. I'm new to HD thing and if you refering the self check by pressing the odometer button and turn the ignition, I got D01-D10 CLR and CAL 03.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM
mwoakley
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kresnanto
Yes it is Injection and I just notice that the engine run higher and higher like racing. I'm new to HD thing and if you refering the self check by pressing the odometer button and turn the ignition, I got D01-D10 CLR and CAL 03.
My '99 Road King FLHRCI is doing the exact same thing. Started just today. Idles at around 2000 + RPM. I checked the codes like you did and got the exact same codes: D01 through D10 CLR as well as the CAL03.

Did you ever find out that the heck that means? Also, how did you fix the problem? Thanks! Matt.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 PM
oderonimus
6th Gear
Default Me too!

same thing is happening here

Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you do the speedometer button thingy you are only getting speedometer test codes.

Diagnostic mode: Ignition on and off three times. Wait for rapid flashing of check engine light to stop. Then count the slower flashing light to get the trouble code.

Best to clean the throttle body and the idle air bleed holes then reset the cold and hot idle speed with the two set screws on the bellcrank.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Steven Sims
Stage III

Originally Posted by kresnanto
I have 99 road King that start giving me slightly high idle when started and stay high. (It was high when I just start it and goes low after I blimp it a couple time).
The bike it self is running fine but I just dont feel it right when stopping and hearing the engine running high.
Can someone give me advise on how to adjust it?

Thanks in advance.
you need to have your TPS sensor checked and make sure that is adjusted correctly if it is out of range problems will exist needs to read .2750 on your TPS reading testing the gray/ violet wire with your fast idle motor disconnected and your idle screw backed out and warm idle screw backed out as well if correct them you n to check your cold idle it should read .250 if not adjust it to spec.still with the ignition on , but remember what your warm idle screw was set at more than likely your throttle body was dirty and someone changed the settings contact me if you are still having issues