Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Hesitation/choking down low and lean up top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Boostthis89
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation/choking down low and lean up top?

09 96ci ultra I just bought for an insanely good deal with 20k miles.. I can be at a steady cruise in any gear at 3000rpm and roll on on throttle and its lean enough to not wanna get moving and accelerate, when its warm it also is running rich down low taking off from stop signs... if I punch it from download and wot thru the gears it moves like a raped ape.
bike has rinehart slip ons, and open air filter, found a plug with a resistor in the wiring from oxygen sensors that run back to the ECU but no visible tuner box anywhere.. I'm assuming it needs a tune ? Did someone pull a tuner off this bike before I purchased it?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Prolly the last owner was tired of chasing shops and spending $$ trying to find one that could fix the bike so he offed it.
Find your local reputable tuner and let him diagnose and fix your bike. You will be happy you did...unlike the last owner.
Bob

Old 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Boostthis89
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Prolly the last owner was tired of chasing shops and spending $$ trying to find one that could fix the bike so he offed it.
Find your local reputable tuner and let him diagnose and fix your bike. You will be happy you did...unlike the last owner.
Bob
bike had front end damage to front fairing and side compartments on the crash bars so was purchased from auction and damage fixed.. I plan on taking to a local shop that's known for tuning in a week but I am an auto tech myself and would like to figure out myself If possible... just havent really worked on harleys and 3 days of research not coming up with much, I picked up a new temp sensor this afternoon and ill be plugging the oxygen sensors back in and removing the resistors based off recommendation from a 30 year Harley tech I know. Doubt itll change anything but wont cost me anything yet

Old 06-23-2018, 12:13 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

No sign of a piggyback tuner could mean that it was flash tuned to the ECM, or even the dealer download. A dealer can plug it in and see what map is in there, stock or aftermarket.
Bottom line is that it should be tuned. Highly regarded around here is the Powervision. I'm using the ThunderMax, which uses wide band O2 sensors and its own ECM, along with an auto tune module.