Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Advanced FP3 Settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Andrew Nelsen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Advanced FP3 Settings

Hey everyone - I'm new to the Forum, but I've read dozens of posts and learned so much from you guys already.

Thanks a bunch!!

Especially:

- @VanceandHines
- @DK Custom
- All of the Forum Members that have asked and answered questions here previously

I have a question about tuning a 2018 Iron 883 with the Vance and Hines Fuelpak FP3, and I'm hoping for some expert opinions from you all as well as a response from someone at Vance and Hines. For anyone looking for a more comprehensive area to start research in the future, I hope this thread becomes a comprehensive resource.

Objective

I'm hoping to learn more about EFI and advanced tuning settings with the FP3. While I definitely understand and appreciate comments that other tuners may be better/easier/more powerful, this is my only tool for the forseeable future, and I'd like to understand as many of the settings as possible. I've included my current understanding and a list of questions separated by category.

I've owned my 2018 Iron 883 for one month [first motorcycle] and I'm really hoping to learn as much as I can. I've previously worked on bicycles and carbureted mopeds, and I've done my best to research and understand what I could before reaching out for help. Please correct me if I'm misinformed:

- VE is affected by intake, exhaust, engine modifications, temperature and altitude
- VE is measured at units of RPM/Throttle Position
- VE values can be used with fuel injection and AFR to achieve the stoichiometric ratio
- AFR targets are set in cells on a table by RPM/kPa calculated with MAP but not IAT (with the FP3 at least)
- The V&H FP3 seeks to improve performance by adjusting VE tables
- Accurate VE provides tables provide better information for your ECM to achieve programmed AFR
- If VE always matched VE tables, STFT and LTFT would be close to 0, and AFR would be achieved.
- If the calculated AFR doesn't result in the expected AFR, that difference is stored in the STFT
- The 2018 Iron 883 has an ECM that uses "Adaptive Fuel"/LTFT
- After a certain amount of time(?) an average of results from Short-Term Fuel Trim (STFT) are used to create LTFT
- The actual stoichiometric ratio for the different types of fuels I use may be variable and is unknown

Harley Davidson Questions

Questions that are broad or generally related to ECMs, fuel injection, and Harley Davidson

Do we know what criteria the ECM actually switches from closed loop tables to open loop tables, or if this even happens at all? What AFR values are used during the open loop? And does this mean removing the narrowband O2 sensors forces the bike to operate without them in an open loop?

Do we know if 30-120 minutes of riding actually uses STFT to make a LTFT value for my 2018 Iron?

What's the purpose of fine tuning VE tables if STFT and LTFT account for it eventually?

Can I safely assume the 2018 Iron 883 I purchased one month ago here in the US does not have active exhaust, active intake, and a jiffy stand switch/detector?

Does a 2018 Iron 883 have EITMS? Are there recommended temperatures for stock Iron 883s I should set to enable and disable EITMS?

Is this post correct, and do 2018 Iron 883s actually have an "Ion Sensing System" for knock detection?

Throttle position 100% seems to have a higher VE at all RPMs for both cylinder VE tables after autotune. Why is this?

Harley Davidson/Vance and Hines Questions

Questions that may need knowledge of both HD and the V&H FP3

I noticed many spark settings that also include knock and many other controls. What is this for, and how do these values relate to performance?

I noticed the acceleration enrichment settings are set to 3.98 across all temperatures, but deceleration enleanment has descending values as the temperature gets warmer. Why would this be?

Vance and Hines Questions

Questions related to the FP3 and some of its more advanced and undocumented settings.

What is MAP Load Normalization?

What is the purpose of Performance Enhancement Mode? Is it to facilitate rich/lean conditions when in "open loop" mode? Can you tell us as much as you can about this feature?

PE Mode has RPM Enable/Disable and Throttle Position Enable/Disable. Do both Enable conditions need to be true to enter PE Mode? Do either of the Disable conditions being true disable it, or do both have to be true?

PE AFR tables are labeled as listed in "lambda", but have numbers ranging from 12.56 to11.35 [from 0 to 33.1 seconds, respectively]. Are those actually in AFR as opposed to "AFR lambda"?

Advanced Autotune asks for "Starting Temperature" - what is this and how do I measure it?

Under "General -> Rev Limit" - does changing this disable or change the factory rev limiter?

What is the purpose of acceleration enrichment? And what about when accelerating hard in the hypothetical "open loop"?

Is it true the FP3 can change VE by <=15% per Autotune session?

Under the advanced setup, how is "Start Engine Temperature" defined, and how do I measure it (default value: 199 degrees F)?

Under the advanced setup, how is O2 Voltage defined, and how do I measure it? I have two cylinders in my 2018 Iron 883 - should I use the live sensor data and average the values? (default value: 0.4).

Under the advanced setup, will increasing the number of samples lead to a more accurate tune? What exactly constitutes one sample?

Summary

Phew! That was a lot of questions. But thank you so much for reading this! I'd really love to hear what you guys know, and also have this stickied if it becomes helpful to many people looking to use the advanced autotune FP3 features with their Iron 883. If you read this and know the answers to even one of them, please quote the question and add your answer – that would be awesome!

Thanks again for all the brilliant commentary, helpful advice, and informational posts!

Resources

- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...stage-1-a.html
- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=24
- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...the-tunes.html
- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...open-loop.html
- https://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...open-loop.html

[Admin: I think the first time I tried to post failed. Please delete if this is a duplicate. ]

Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Sheeze, lol.

Ummm, no disrespect, Andrew, but you are overthinking this. Do you stay up at light thinking about the FP3?

If you are considering purchasing an FP3, take the advice of people like me who are very satisfied users of the module.

A couple of years ago, I bored out a 96 inch Dyna to 103, I milled the heads and added thin Cometic gaskets to bump up compression and then installed a set of Screamin Eagle 204 cams. I then installed a V&H Upsweep 2:1 exhaust and plugged up a FP3. I've posted comments about my results several times. I am very delighted with the results of my engine work.

The FP3 is amazing. V&H has a huge library of maps that may very well exactly match your engine configuration. On top of that, you can custom tune your motor with the Autotune feature of the module. My engine runs very crisply without glitches or flat spots.

Last edited by leafman60; 07-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

If you haven’t done so already, go here - http://www.mastertune.net/
download the software and read the tuning manual. It should answer many questions.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Piolho Fera
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the table - enrichment acceleration of the FP3 harley davidson sportster 883 and 1200 of 2017 and 2018 are with Bug, are using a much lower real value than those of 2016, do not know if they will correct, I have a softail 2011 and to this day have not corrected the Target AFR, we bought equipment that does not work perfectly

Last edited by Piolho Fera; 12-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.