Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuner Choice's Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:43 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

A big power big money build like that calls for excellent tuning. If you've bought a standard HD Stage IV kit, then the vendor that sold you that kit probably has a very close starting base map along with a recommended tuner to use to during the Dyno which shouldn't take too long to dial in by a reliable Dyno expert. At least for that day, temp, level above sea level, gas etc. But you can't beat a closed loop learning system such as the Dynojet Power Vision, with the wide-band Target Tune option to keep that tune dialed tweaked perfectly to the target tune, on any given day.

I know that the PowerVision/Target Tune supports this, and I "think" the TTS also does, but maybe someone can confirm. With my FuelMoto 107 Big Bore build the Dyno FM did was great, but adding Target Tune still made it better.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM
HD69HEAD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry FLTRI17 I missed your response . I agree with what you said . I am PRo-Mod Car builder and have played with many variations on car ecms . The Hd World is similar but I have nothing good to say anyone of the areas Tuners. I will be doing this built . Hence the reason for the in dept questions .

Old 07-31-2018, 11:00 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by HD69HEAD
Sorry FLTRI17 I missed your response . I agree with what you said . I am PRo-Mod Car builder and have played with many variations on car ecms . The Hd World is similar but I have nothing good to say anyone of the areas Tuners. I will be doing this built . Hence the reason for the in dept questions .
“The Hd World is similar but I have nothing good to say anyone of the areas Tuners.”...
Are you saying there are no good dyno tuners in your area?
Bob

Old 07-31-2018, 02:40 PM
HD69HEAD
Intermediate

From what Ive seen not really . there is always a reason to look for more Cash .

Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Red face

Originally Posted by HD69HEAD
From what Ive seen not really . there is always a reason to look for more Cash .
What area are you in up there? Not a lot of tuners in the tundra ;-). But maybe there someone we know somewhat close that can actually help you get to where you want to be rather than draining your wallet. If there’s something else wrong causing a running/tuning issue a good tuner will be able to save you the tuning money until it’s fixed so the tuning goes without a hitch and the resultant bike runs like it should...smooth, responsive, with good mpg.
Bob

Old 08-07-2018, 10:50 AM
HD69HEAD
Intermediate

it is always a concern . I will have to look at that if a serious problem arrives. That is why I want to do my due diligence and find a tuner for the bike that suits my Mechanical attributes to eliminate using such shops . So my search continues to get feedback on such Tuners .

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

First, find a shop that will quote you a “tuned” price. If If it takes the tuner 2hrs or 6hrs to get it right shouldn’t be on you. A good, experienced tuner urtilyzing a quality flash tuner shouldn’t need more than 2-3hrs at the most for most stage 1-4 builds...unless he doesn’t have a library of base cals to pick from to get it close to begin with.
Due to production variances in injector output and exhaust, as well as port flow, compression and intake flow, base maps only work decently for less than 50% of the bikes it’s utilyzed on.
DIY for stage1 and maybe 2 but for 100+ hp/tq builds I recommend getting to a tuner for intitial breakin and safe mapping for “street” breakin if desired..
Bob
And KNOW and COMMUNICATE your expectations with the tuner. i made the mistake of not doing this and it has created a **** storm of trouble for me.

If you're going to have new pistons and cylinders, know what their manufacturer's recommended break-in strategy is. A lot of people ride their bike to the tuner with few miles / hours on it, and then some tuners will "break it in on the dyno" by doing a bunch of runs - including to red-line - which usually works out just fine but ...sometimes... doesn't. And if you broke it in contrary to the manufacturer's instructions and something goes sideways, you may be out a lot of cash replacing pistons and cylinders. (1st hand experience here). A bunch of people will tell you that hard break-ins are fine, but you gotta make that call yourself. Never again for me: Burned once, shy twice.

Also, make sure they do an advanced map, meaning they tune both cylinders independently, and make sure they tune ignition timing as well.

Get printouts of everything they'll provide you with, not just the dyno sheet. If they can give you AFRs, timing tables, etc, then get them, and tell them up front that you'll want those.

BIG piece of advise: Don't be that last bike tuned in any given day, when the tuner's attention to detail may have waned. Be the first or second. Also, tune early in the week, not on a Friday or weekend. The person who tuned my bike did it in about an hour, was rushing through it and told me he didn't want to tune so many bikes that day but the shop owner scheduled him for two tunes past the number he wanted to do. My appointment was late on a Saturday afternoon, and this guy wanted gone. Oh, and he didn't even touch the timing tables in spite of my build going from 88 inches to 100, and having a more radical cam grind in place.

Be informed and make it clear that you are. Set expectations and watch the process. Get proof in the form of documented results. Oh, and make sure your bike has a full tank of gas and has know other mechanical, fuel, or electrical issues.

Last edited by Z; 08-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:21 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

The way I understand a quality dyno tune is a competent, experienced tuner utilizes 1 of many base maps to choose from based on same build formulas (ci, cam, compression, porting, exhaust, etc). This obviously give that tuner a huge advantage over a dyno operator without years of experience and a library of same build tunes to choose from. Then the tuner uses the close map and fine tunes it from there. The closer the base map the less time it will take the tuner to get to the best performance from a given build.
That said, I believe an owner hires a tuner to get his/her bike to rune smooth, responsive, without pinging, producing good fuel mileage while cooling the running temps down a bit, including idling at lights.
Just curious, I don’t see anything addressing the way the bike ran before and after the tune.....??
Bob

Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Just curious, I don’t see anything addressing the way the bike ran before and after the tune.....??
Bob
[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you're asking.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

You said: “Not quite sure what you're asking.”

I assume you have offered advice based on your own experience with a tuner?
After all, the most important aspect of a tune is how the bike actually ran after the tune? Really nothing else. You pay for a well-tuned bike and doesn’t matter what changes were made or how long it took to get there.
Two examples:
1- A new tuner with schooling and limited real world experiences. This tuner should spend 4-8hrs developing the tune from scratch.
2- Tuners who have been tuning Harley’s for many years with extensive libraries of tunes for all kinds of builds, exhausts and intakes. This tuner may spend anywhere from 1 1/2hrs to 3hrs depending on build uniqueness.

IMO the object of a dyno tune is to get the best performance from the tune along with good fuel mileage, not how much time spent or changes to tables in the calibration.

So, how did your bike run after the tune? Smooth? Responsive? Mileage?

Bob

Quick Reply: Tuner Choice's Help