Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

T-M ECM running problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 AM
jjohnsonkc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-M ECM running problems

2012 Road Glide Ultra
I bought it in Jan 2018 all stock with 6k miles...
Road it for 3k miles in hot southern temps and cooler Colorado temps with no problems.
Took it in to a shop to have the Thunder-Max, a heavy breather and full Rinehart exhaust installed.
The 1st 300-400 miles it ran perfect. I left the higher elevations of Colorado and rode through Kansas and into Missouri...
The bike started running bad at idle. The check engine light came on and the engine sounded like it may have loaded up with fuel and started sputtering. I shut it off for 1-2 minutes, fired back up and ran fine again until the next idling stop...
It continued the same problem sporadically throughout my trip.
Another problem it started having less often but continually was when in a right hand corner, it would stall, nose dive while stalling for a brief couple of seconds then die and one loud backfire...
Again, I would shut off ignition for 1-2 minutes, fire back up and it ran fine...
It has zero issues while riding after these two problems happen as long as i'm on the throttle cruising. It only acts up sporadically at idle and in right hand corners.
When I got back in higher elevations of Colorado, it seemed to run a lot better. It still had a few hiccups riding around the Denver area but with far much less occurrences...
I took it back to the shop that installed everything and explained the issues. They had it for almost two weeks. Ran several tests and sent the data to T-M for review. The only thing showing in the data was a low voltage loss at the MAP sensor. They packed the terminals with dielectric grease. They ran the bike on several test rides and tests in shop with no issues...
I picked it up this week and before I left the shop lot, the check engine light came back on. I turned right back and showed them... We shut it off for a couple of minutes, they took it for a ride and the check engine light came back on then too but it didn't run bad...
I had to leave with it due to plans I had. I rode it that evening to a bike night and had the same loading up with fuel type problem at idle and check engine light again. Sometimes it will act up right as the stop light is turning green... I'll take off, coughing and sputtering, shut down ignition while rolling... coast for 1-2 minutes and fire back up to run fine again...

If anyone has had any experience like this, please advise. I'm not feeling to confident that taking it back to the same shop will fix the mysterious problem I'm having...

Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

You say the TM is registering a MAP code. Is the bike throwing any other codes? You might try cleaning the IAC. Has TM suggested a different map? Pin holes in the fuel lines in the tank?

Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 PM
jjohnsonkc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop says TM only showed the bike to have a low voltage at the MAPS sensor 2 or 3 times in the entire history. Check engine light never stayed on with an actual trouble code... Shop said T-M only response was to pack MAP terminals with dielectric

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Check the MAP sensor and associated wiring.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:37 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

i had used thunder max tuners. i had problems with bike running right and have found them to be very responsive when you contact them, it appears you are not going direct by pass the shop and speak to them directly .

Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I have had that problem. It occured a couple times when on long trips with others. The issue ended up being that when riding with groups, we'd always be waiting on someone so we would gather at one location and wait for the rest. I'd be sitting on the bike and would end up starting the bike a few times. I figure out that when I started the bike I was rolling the throttle on slightly while switch in the ignition, Do it enough times in the right combination and the Tmax gets screwed up in thinking what 0 TPS is. Making sure the throttle was rolled off cured the problem. The bike I had was throttle by cable tho. On throttle by wire, I'd think that there might be something wrong with the butterfly position sensor in the throttle body, Not sure it's replaceable but it's worth checking that connector,