Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 softail carbureted, engine dies intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Truknoris
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 softail carbureted, engine dies intermittently

Have a 02 softail and you'll be cruising along and it will just shut off as if you hit the kill switch, you can crank and crank and it will not start UNTIL you turn the switch off then back on, i bypassed the run/stop switch on the handlebars because i thought that was the problem, now you have to turn the ignition switch on the tank off then back on, ot will die at any given time with no specific pattern and no matter what temp it is outside, ignition module maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Truknoris
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Truknoris
Have a 02 softail and you'll be cruising along and it will just shut off as if you hit the kill switch, you can crank and crank and it will not start UNTIL you turn the switch off then back on, i bypassed the run/stop switch on the handlebars because i thought that was the problem, now you have to turn the ignition switch on the tank off then back on, ot will die at any given time with no specific pattern and no matter what temp it is outside, ignition module maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.
I forgot to say that everything functions except spark when it dies

Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Start by checking for DTC codes https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...e-codes-413169

Also, check your battery cables, end to end, and along each length for integrity.

Look at your ignition fuse, remove and inspect.

Wiring diagrams https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/content/document/view?id=5528&parameters=highlight%3D2002+Wiring+Di agrams%26openProcedure%3Dd7871aa4-7caf-4b12-9f1b-62be8490b48d

Last edited by mmesa005; 09-05-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Forgot to ask, is the bike stock or mods?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Truknoris
4th Gear

All stock besides pipes and jetted, ive checked all the battery cables and connections, you gotta understand that if it dies while at speed if you dont pull the clutch in and let the engine keep turning, as fast as you can turn that switch off and back on it will pop and take right back off, if you pull the clutch and hit the starter you can crank it until the battery goes dead and it wont hit a lick, turn the swich off and back on and it will crank half a revolution and fire right up, its like when you de-energize the ignition system it resets it, its very strange ive had alot of harleys and never seen anything like it

Old 09-05-2018, 11:15 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree that it's uncomfortable to say the least to go through the experience you are having.It could be the Stop/Run switch, could be the circuit breaker, or other component in the circuit. The wiring diagram will help but of course the best is to have the Service Manual which has an Electrical Troubleshooting section.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Truknoris
4th Gear

When it first started this i thought it was the stop/run switch because you could turn it odd then right back on and it would start right up, i have a new set of bars already wired with new switches yet to be installed so i took the run/stop switch wires, cut and soldered them together and eliminated that switch rather then doing all the labor of replacing it and its wiring or installing my new setup but the problem continued and now i have to turn the ignition switch(which is new)off and back on just like the stop/run switch was doing however, when it dies it does not lose power to anything, all my lights and horn and everything works and stays lit up it only loses spark which is why i think its the ignition module or maybe a relay

Old 09-05-2018, 11:50 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

I understand your thinking. I would not want to replace the ignition module without first testing it. It is fairly inexpensive to replace the circuit breaker.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:05 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Do a web search for the following manual as it will be very helpful Part Number 99498-02

Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Truknoris
4th Gear

Checked the DTC's on the bike, got a #12 which according to the list you posted earlier its a MAP sensor, you that could cause my problem? I never could seem to get this thing to run the way it should like the carb is off a little no matter how i adjust it...

Quick Reply: 02 softail carbureted, engine dies intermittently