FP3 rev limiter adjustment? - Harley Davidson Forums

Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 rev limiter adjustment?

  #1  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Roadflyer
Roadflyer is offline
Road Master
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Penticton BC Canada
Posts: 791
Thanked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Default FP3 rev limiter adjustment?

My 2016 RK came with a FP3 installed.
The current rev limiter seems to be set at about 5600. I adjusted the idle speed to 900 and also adjusted the rev limiter to 6000 and flashed the new tune.
The idle speed did go down to 900 (I've since returned it to stock) but the rev limiter still is at 5600.
Does the FP3 rev limit adjustment actually do anything?? Does it function at all?
Yes, I do have the latest SW version in the FP3.
5600 is plenty high for the stock tune but I'm planning on doing a mild 110 build and want to raise the limiter to 6200.
 
  #2  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:20 PM
wevsspot's Avatar
wevsspot
wevsspot is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 326
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Not sure if something changed on the '16s, but the rev limiter adjustment did work on my 2015 Road Glide. I changed the throttle response and rev limiter, flashed the changes and everything worked as expected.
 
  #3  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 AM
Roadflyer
Roadflyer is offline
Road Master
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Penticton BC Canada
Posts: 791
Thanked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post
Not sure if something changed on the '16s, but the rev limiter adjustment did work on my 2015 Road Glide. I changed the throttle response and rev limiter, flashed the changes and everything worked as expected.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I did something wrong, i'll try it again.
 
  #4  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:36 AM
FLTRI17
FLTRI17 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,232
Thanked 235 Times in 183 Posts
Default

You may still have the “speed” limiter in which case IIFC, 4th gear is the highest gear that will reach the 6200 engine rev limit. Any higher gear and you get to the “vehicle speed” limit before getting to the “engine rev” limit.
“Speed” limits vary according to the whim of the MOCO, and possibly the insurance industry at the time of production. M8’s I’ve seen as low as 107mph on the 107ci and 114mph on the 114ci bikes. I don’t remember if the new 117ci CVO bikes are still 114mph or, 117mph for the 117ci.
Bob

 
  #5  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 AM
wevsspot's Avatar
wevsspot
wevsspot is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 326
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Excellent point..............
 
  #6  
Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM
hrdtail78's Avatar
hrdtail78
hrdtail78 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alorton, Illinois
Posts: 1,186
Thanked 219 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wevsspot View Post
Not sure if something changed on the '16s, but the rev limiter adjustment did work on my 2015 Road Glide. I changed the throttle response and rev limiter, flashed the changes and everything worked as expected.
Not familiar with throttle response table in the FP3. How did you do that?
 
  #7  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Roadflyer
Roadflyer is offline
Road Master
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Penticton BC Canada
Posts: 791
Thanked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hrdtail78 View Post
Not familiar with throttle response table in the FP3. How did you do that?
It took me a while to find that as well. You must open a "map" in order to modify it, you will find the throttle response adjustment in there.
 
  #8  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Roadflyer
Roadflyer is offline
Road Master
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Penticton BC Canada
Posts: 791
Thanked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FLTRI17 View Post
You may still have the “speed” limiter in which case IIFC, 4th gear is the highest gear that will reach the 6200 engine rev limit. Any higher gear and you get to the “vehicle speed” limit before getting to the “engine rev” limit.
“Speed” limits vary according to the whim of the MOCO, and possibly the insurance industry at the time of production. M8’s I’ve seen as low as 107mph on the 107ci and 114mph on the 114ci bikes. I don’t remember if the new 117ci CVO bikes are still 114mph or, 117mph for the 117ci.
Bob


I think I was in 3rd when I tried it, I know I wasn't doing anything near 100 mph at the time. There are very few places I could do 100 mph and not risk my bike getting impounded.
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: