Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2001 fatboy carbed shutting off

Old 10-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Bcosta
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 fatboy carbed shutting off

engine is shutting off at random riding or idling in garage. May run 30 seconds may run 5 minutes but ***** off like you hit off switch. Wont restart unless kill or ignition switch is cycled. Cleaned grounds,replaced tssm with used tsm, replaced crank sensor,replaced ign module with used. If you pull security fuse while its running it will stay running but no turn sigs. Could this be tssm/tsm and i just happened to get another bad used one? I need help!

Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Bcosta
Novice

Nobody got nuttn?

Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 622 Posts

well, it looks like you covered the bases. i was going to suggest the ign mod but you covered that. i had one that did that. what was happening is the module has a over current protection circuit and it would shut down. the weird thing is that i could find no over current so replaced the module. since then, runs fine, didn't change anything else.
do you have the electrical diagnostic manual?
big twin unless shovel not my cup of tea. i do have the manual and will see if it has a trouble tree.
for your year, does it have an independent bank angle sensor? if so, by-pass it and see if it runs. however, the security fuse is the wrench in the works. the angle sensor should chop ign power.
you can get info direct from hd with the vin.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 622 Posts

well, there is a lot in this book.
off the top, is it mounted correctly? it functions as a bank angle sensor and will kill power till cycled.
have you checked for trouble codes by observing the turn signals. does it have a personal code programmed into it.

another test for ignition enable says to use breakout box on harness with tsm/tssm disconnected (dtc b1125)

check voltage on pin 10 of the tsm/tssm with ign on and bar switch in run
1. voltage present> repair short to voltage on lt gn/gy wire
2. no voltage> replace tsm/tssm and perform setup

Last edited by bustert; 10-05-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,893 Likes on 3,008 Posts

Did you try cleaning out the float bowl.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 PM
Bcosta
Novice

Ive replaced tssm and ign module with used does same thing.also replaced crank sensor. Whats a breakout box? Ive checked ign enable wire with ohm/volt meter. I get 0.58 volts at ignition module with ign on and run switch on. The tssm is feed constantly with power thru the security fuse. If i pull security fuse i get 7.0 volts on ign enable wire at ignition module and it will stay runnin if i pull fuse after its runnin it will not shut off till you shut it off. But if you put fuse back in it will shut off.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Bcosta
Novice

Ranger it’s definitely electrical

Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Bcosta
Novice

Its mounted correctly. Since ive replaced the tssm with used tsm im wondering if it is a short in enable wire or i got a bad used tsm doin same thing. But ive held a volt meter on enable wire at ign module and it stays at 0.58 volts when it shuts off... idk im puzzed i guess i could cut and put a new enable wire from tssm to ignition module and see what happens

Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,893 Likes on 3,008 Posts

Did you replace the battery in the key fob?
If it stays running after you pull the SECURITY FUSE it's a problem with the security system.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Bcosta
Novice

I have push button fob. But ive replaced the tssm with used tsm off ebay. Does same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 fatboy carbed shutting off