Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:34 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dlwarre
thank you, may I ask what makes them a colder plug?
It has to do with the heat range of operation, the physical aspects differ with the insulator thickness and core, etc. Someone more knowledgeable can offer more....

Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,147 Likes on 3,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
The plugs are used for a feature called ION Sense. The plugs are actually used as sensors. If they are wrong resistance, the ECM may think it misfired or think it knocked when it did not. It then will manipulate fuel and spark to compensate for a ghost condition. This usually results in lost power. You can't go wrong just installing a set of stock plugs. The aftermarket high dollar plugs aren't necessarily the best for this application.
Not quite. The system senses ignition secondary voltage and uses that as a way to detect detonation by the changes in that voltage. Every time you start your bike the system uses that voltage as the baseline. It doesn't matter what plugs you have in there; the baseline will simply be different if you have plugs with a different resistance. The function, however, will be unaffected.

HD spark plugs are made by Champion. In all my years of drag racing cars, modifying engines for performance, and motorcycles too...Champion has consistently been THE worst brand out there. They are ok for a stock engine in good operating condition, but they are of cheaper quality IMHO. I don't want to turn this into an "oil" argument; just stating my personal experience. I like NGK for bikes because they are used as OEM plugs in many sport bikes that are high-performance based. They have great performance and longevity in those applications, and that has proven to be the case in my own travels.

The following users liked this post:
moose545 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
The plugs are used for a feature called ION Sense. The plugs are actually used as sensors. If they are wrong resistance, the ECM may think it misfired or think it knocked when it did not. It then will manipulate fuel and spark to compensate for a ghost condition. This usually results in lost power. You can't go wrong just installing a set of stock plugs. The aftermarket high dollar plugs aren't necessarily the best for this application.
Gotta admit Ed, some people don’t even listen to the guys who write the programming and calibrations, why would they listen to you, someone with firsthand knowledge by which you speak. lol
Keep helping us to understand the facts Ed. You are a treasure here and thanks for your experienced comments. Hopefully they will be respected rather than refuted.
Thanks again Ed,
Bob

Ed Ramberger (10-13-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Not quite. The system senses ignition secondary voltage and uses that as a way to detect detonation by the changes in that voltage. Every time you start your bike the system uses that voltage as the baseline. It doesn't matter what plugs you have in there; the baseline will simply be different if you have plugs with a different resistance. The function, however, will be unaffected.

HD spark plugs are made by Champion. In all my years of drag racing cars, modifying engines for performance, and motorcycles too...Champion has consistently been THE worst brand out there. They are ok for a stock engine in good operating condition, but they are of cheaper quality IMHO. I don't want to turn this into an "oil" argument; just stating my personal experience. I like NGK for bikes because they are used as OEM plugs in many sport bikes that are high-performance based. They have great performance and longevity in those applications, and that has proven to be the case in my own travels.
Thanks for the information, happen to know of a good conversion chart/tool from OEM plugs crossing over? I just replaced mine with the 6R12's to be consistent and get my tune straight and sort that out first, plus I have very mild modifications.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

Originally Posted by dlwarre
thank you, may I ask what makes them a colder plug?
A colder plug has the tip and electrode further out in the air flow. Though was a hotter plug burnt off deposits. With no lead in fuel, fuel injection making an almost perfect 14.7-1 stoichiometry mixture, hot and cold plugs are history.

moose545 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,147 Likes on 3,515 Posts

Originally Posted by moose545
Thanks for the information, happen to know of a good conversion chart/tool from OEM plugs crossing over? I just replaced mine with the 6R12's to be consistent and get my tune straight and sort that out first, plus I have very mild modifications.
Unfortunately, I haven't. You have to find an online parts source that has a year/make/model-style lookup, and that carries NGK spark plugs. Amazon actually works fairly well for this, and eBay too.

moose545 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
A colder plug has the tip and electrode further out in the air flow. Though was a hotter plug burnt off deposits. With no lead in fuel, fuel injection making an almost perfect 14.7-1 stoichiometry mixture, hot and cold plugs are history.
The difference is the design of the insulator in the thread region.

Here is a short NGK video on heat range:

Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9

Sorry sir - my initial statement was correct. Your thought on the process is inaccurate. It actually tells the ECM more than looking at the secondary voltage pattern.

The system sends 80v through the plug after the combustion event and based on the atmosphere in the cylinder the ECM makes a decision on what happened. It is actually traveling the ION trail between the electrodes. The 80V crosses the gap without sparking (it travels the ionized path) and the ECM looks at the signal which correlates to the combustion quality.

The system does not adapt to different spark plugs from a baseline and the incorrect plug will cause the ION sense to think it knocked or misfired if it altered the signal due to different resistance values. Some plugs will work fine, others will not. Many aftermarket wires will mess the system up as well.

I know this firsthand.

Also - while some plugs are awesome for some applications they can be terrible for others. The Harley OE plugs work just fine.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-13-2018 at 05:23 PM.
jbarr1 (10-14-2018)