Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Same tune but one cylinder leaner than the other

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:17 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Z— I commend what you are doing. I also appreciate what the guys are advising as I am a dyno tuner as well. You can be successful at what you are doing on the fueling side as long as you have proper targets for AFR. Timing may be a bit more difficult as you can’t validate the changes with the equipment you are using.
First, get the fueling corrected. After that, I honestly don’t know how you are going to get close to proper timing tables without being able to data log knock events or performance gains or losses.
Get the AFRs straightened out and please keep us updated on your progress and results.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

I have a new in the box unmarried Harley Super Tuner for Magneti Marelli plus software. It adjusts Main spark, WOT spark, Idle spark, ISC vs. Head Temp, Main Fuel Table, Rear Cylinder Modifier Table, Cranking fuel table vs head temp, Startup Fuel Prime Pulse, Injector BPW vs. battery voltage, Cranking Spark Advance, ISC added during Crank.

It has numerous base maps for different combinations H-D had back then. So those are the things that can be adjusted with the H-D tuner.

In reality, I would suggest a PowerCommander for your situation. It will adjust fuel, spark much easier than the H-D tuner. If you want to go the Harley Tuner route, PM me and I will make you a great deal. But I warn you, the PC is much easier.

You can buy a PowerCommander and an autotune module. Here is the link. http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=313&yr=806

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
...I honestly feel like your builder and tuner BOTH let you down in the first place. I'm not saying that you CAN"T do it. Just that it would have been done by now, for less money with a properly running engine.
I agree, they did. Good tuners, good builders make mistakes. Both of mine did. I don't have another few grand laying around to risk another tuner / builder making mistakes on my bike. The only person I trust is me, and I'll do everything I can on my own from now on. Once my engine has ,1000 miles on it , I'll take it to my tuner to get the timing tuned. I'm taking care of the a/f myself, and have a good enough timing map now from DynoJet to get me to the 1k miles mark.

the idea that having a dyno tuned bike is ludicrous, is actually not.
And I didn't say it was. I said the idea that I need a dyno tuned bike to recognize a good tune is ludicrous.

So if you want to have doubts about most of us, ok, but i would advise NOT to doubt info that you get from him.
I don't have doubts about any of you, as I've said many times before. If I did, I wouldn't be coming here for advice. All I doubt is your willingness to accept that I don't WANT to put my bike through another dyno session until I reach that 1000 mile point.

It's obvious to me and should be to you, that your bike was not tuned "good enough" from the get go, or none of us would be where we are now.
Exactly. Which is why I invested in the tools to tune the mixture myself, and why I'll go back on the dyno when I reach 1000 miles.

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Sure, you can guess at a number then ride the bike to see if you feel a change. Then make another change and repeat the process but it will take time to properly find the best combo for the mods done to the bike.

Agreed, it will take time and I'm fine with that. But All I'm adjusting on my own long-term (past break-in) is mixture, and I don't see it so much as a guessing game. I see it as selecting target mixtures for various states, and adjusting for deficiencies as necessary.

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Remember...What you are riding is the best ride you know, right? Unfortunately you have nothing to compare to.
Bob
I've been riding long enough to know what a well-tuned bike runs like, and that's all I need.
Originally Posted by Meatbag
I might have missed it, but what tuner are you using?
It's a PCIII USB, and it allows me to tune mixture and timing for each cylinder independently.

Originally Posted by jbarr1
Z— I commend what you are doing. I also appreciate what the guys are advising as I am a dyno tuner as well. You can be successful at what you are doing on the fueling side as long as you have proper targets for AFR. Timing may be a bit more difficult as you can’t validate the changes with the equipment you are using.
First, get the fueling corrected. After that, I honestly don’t know how you are going to get close to proper timing tables without being able to data log knock events or performance gains or losses.
Get the AFRs straightened out and please keep us updated on your progress and results.
Thanks @jbarr1 , agreed all the way around. I was hoping to do some timing work on my own, but with no knock detection it becomes especially challenging and risky, especially since my hearing isn't what it used to be. AFR's on me, get some miles on it, let the tuner take care of the timing. And that's the biggest risk in all of this, is the tuner, which I know you all hate me saying. If he's having (another) bad day, my tune and my wallet will pay the price. To ward off suggestions that I should find another tuner, the one I use has already been paid and is very competent, but human. Everyone else is booked for months and I'd be paying twice with no guarantee that they'd do any better..

@Ed Ramberger
A Super Tuner would be more work to learn than I want to invest (as you pointed out), but I appreciate the offer. I have a PCIII USB now, and have thought about upgrading to a PC-V + AutoTune in the future, but am not overly excited about piggyback tuners. In any case, the budget for this project has already been exceded by a wide margin so that will have to wait.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Post 7 of 8 here (Shameless self promotion )

https://www.roadglide.org/26-engine-...er-needed.html

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-16-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Post 7 of 8 here (Shameless self promotion )

https://www.roadglide.org/26-engine-...er-needed.html

Skip and my tuner must be fishin' buddies

Old 10-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

You said it - not me. So while I'm on a roll of shameless self gratitude... See we actually do care and try to help.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...y-fat-boy.html

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-16-2018 at 02:52 PM.