Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Do engine mechanics impact AFR as measured by O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

The absolute best thing, IMO, is for the OP to ask a dyno tuner if it would be ok to watch him tune a bike.
This will answer virtually any and all questions you could possibly ask about what it takes to tune with the most important tuning tool...the dyno. Then adapt your observations to your DIY street tuning effort.
IMO I always try to observe what it takes to accomplish a task. Then I try to repeat what I saw.
Once you see what it takes to properly recalibrate EFI you can take that knowledge to your own setup and I’ll bet you would be successful in your tuning endeavor.
Bob

Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
... getting perfect balance is extremely hard, keeping the diff to 10% or less is the goal.
I completely appreciate what you're saying, but I have to disagree with 10% variance being a worthy mixture ratio balance goal front to rear. I believe you meant that 10% as more of a concept than an actual number because right now I'm within 10% and I have about one full ratio point difference front to rear.

Looking at my a/f data logs and the constant, slight variance in mixture within a single cylinder at a relatively steady RPM & throttle position, I can see that it's impossible to tune to perfection, but I am hoping to get closer to a 4% mixture variance front to rear. At 4-ish% variance, with one cylinder at 13.5. The other could be as low as about 13.0 or as high as about 14.0. Being the utter tuning novice that I am, I don't know if that's realistic but I'd sure like to think it is.

Of course I realize that tuning to a target AFR is never going to result in that ratio being precisely, consistently met, but is more of a target average or mean.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
...the OP to ask a dyno tuner if it would be ok to watch him tune a bike.
Bob, I think that's great advice. I've watched tuning sessions on 2 of my Harleys but never close up and personal. When I go back for my post break-in session I'll see if he'll let me get close enough to the action to really see what's going on.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

I think he’s saying that each cylinder needs to be within 10% mechanically. There’s no reason not to be able to tune each cylinder to the same a/f ratio. Tune each cylinder separately. Treat them as 2 individual engines. Put the PCiii in advanced mode to accomplish that.
If you’re saying you can’t replicate the readings at the same throttle settings, then there’s another issue.
Don’t expect the front cylinder map to be identical to the rear cylinder map.

Last edited by jbarr1; 10-20-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:47 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Thanks Steve. Yes, I'm aware. Logging front CHT will be for trend analysis rather than to aid in diagnosing the issue I've had with rear CHT.

Interesting thought tho: I think I have room on my data logging rig for two more inputs, one of which I'll use for the factory engine temp sensor. If my rear head is also drilled & tapped for a sensor, I could add another one there solely for the purpose of logging data with no connection to the ECM, giving me both front & rear CHTs. But... I didn't see a hole for it when I took a quick look.
Remember that the Sensor measurement is called Engine Temperature on a TC. HT is just a calculated value by the ECM. The calculations were done on a stock engine so while it's better than nothing donot expect its reading to be correct on a modified engine.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Remember that the Sensor measurement is called Engine Temperature on a TC. HT is just a calculated value by the ECM. The calculations were done on a stock engine so while it's better than nothing donot expect its reading to be correct on a modified engine.
Point taken. I've increased the displacement of my engine by about 14%, so I would expect it to run hotter, and I also expect to generate more heat from the characteristics of the new cam profile, though I'm not solid on how accurate those statements are.