Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak FP3/Shortshots Install Results in P0031?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Stevesauer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak FP3/Shortshots Install Results in P0031?

Hello. First post to the forum. I just installed vance and Hines short shots and a fuelpak fp3 on my 2014 fxdl. I downloaded the correct map and started it up. I keep getting a p0031code. I clear it and it comes back. The sensor is installed tightly, what gives? Apparently it's the heater circuit? Should I just replace the sensor? Anyone else have this problem?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Bigben733
Novice

I had this problem when I did my stage 1 with the powervision. P0031 and p0051 are related to the o2 heater wires (front and rear) and can trigger for a couple reasons. i think mine triggered because i started the bike without the o2 sensors plugged in . I cleared it but havent started it back up due to the cold a$$ weather here in Ohio. Im curious about this too....... did you twist or damage the wires when you took the sensor out? are they plugged into the right front / rear connectors?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Stevesauer
2nd Gear

Yea, they are definitely installed in the correct pipes. Maybe, as you suggested, they wires got twisted upon reinstalling.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Bigben733
Novice

From reading other posts this seems to be a regular occurrence when tuning these bikes , especially when changing head pipes on the newer bikes. Good thing is this I dont think it will harm your bike. Worse comes to worse If mine keeps throwing the code I might try and replace the sensors. When I took mine out I was in a rush and twisted them just maybe a bit too much.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you tried re-flashing your stock map just to see if it still throws the code? If it doesnt' then you will know it's map related and not physically the sensor.

I had a different error but somewhat related. Flashed back to stock, saw that error code was gone and did not come back, that at least helped me troubleshoot in the other direction. In the end it was a bad map.

Just a thought

Old 02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Stevesauer
2nd Gear

Robby, that's a great idea. Hadn't thought of that. I will try that.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Before anything try disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor. Sometimes when reconnecting the connector is not all the way connected. Be sure to hear the click.
Your code is for the o2 heater not working...very rare. If not the connection maybe the sensor has failed. Definitely warranty issue because it is an emissions issue.
Bob

Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevesauer
Robby, that's a great idea. Hadn't thought of that. I will try that.
Let me know how it goes, in my case I was also getting a sensor error (MAP) but I knew I hadn't touched it which is why it made no sense. Another person suggested that I do what I mentioned and that made me realize that it was not a sensor at all but a map issue.

Good luck I hope it works out

Old 02-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The code is from the ECM not seeing the O2 sensor. Unplug sensor, check that pins are not bent, reconnect, reset codes.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Stevesauer
2nd Gear

Tried flashing the old map and ensuring a positive connection of the o2 sensor: no dice. I guess I twisted the wires up or something while reinstalling. I left the other end of the sensor hooked up, causing a little twisting as I tightened it. I figured it was more durable than that. Seems I was wrong. Lesson learned I guess. Guess it's time to replace the sensor? It was mentioned that code refers to the ECM not detecting the sensor. Is that an issue with the ECM/fuelpak or the sensor?

Quick Reply: Fuelpak FP3/Shortshots Install Results in P0031?