Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Tuning Day

Alright, I'm finally getting down to brass tacks and spending the day tuning my EFI.

AFR gauge in dash, tablet computer with PCIII software running taped to fuel tank. Not how I envisioned doing this, but because the software that came with my innovate modular tuning system sucks I don't have any choice really.

The video shows it best.

https://youtu.be/GesWnlw-hTo

Last edited by Z; 11-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Wellllllll, how’d it go? Got video of you tuning? How dialing in the AFR looks on your gages.
Bob

Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

Wellllllll, how’d it go? Got video of you tuning? How dialing in the AFR looks on your gages.
Bob
Great question, with a long overdue answer. In a nutshell, it went poorly.

The software for the Innovate Motorsports Modular Tuning System was the worst software I've ever seen released with a product. It wasn't even a solid beta, let alone release. I'd call it alpha at best. I got months of "we'll have it fixed any day now" from Innovate until they finally admitted that they needed to do a complete re-write of the code and that it would be some time before that got that done. Ultimately, they suggested I use software from a different company, and I just thought - I'm done. I don't have any more time to invest in learning yet another piece of software. Ultimately, I had the bike dyno tuned and it's running much better, though Innovate's horrible software and months of false promises would up costing me hundreds of dollars in actual cost for a product that wasn't capable of being used as a tuning aid in the manner it was marketed to, and hundreds more dollars in opportunity cost for time I could have been used earning.

On the up side, I now have digital readout AFR gauges on my fairing dash so I know what's going on with the tune and can use those gauges to tweak the tune as I see fit. They dyno shop I used didn't exactly dial it in so there's room for improvement. It's too rich on decel in most RPM ranges, it's too fat under some cruise conditions, and too lean under some load conditions, but all in all, it's close enough to run damned well, over all. To my dismay, the tuner I used didnt tune ignition (beyond adding 6* at 100% throttle, ad 5* in six at-idle ranges. Consequently, I've had to do some detuning to get rid of knock under load in hot conditions. I suspect they don't tune ignition on these older bikes because they lack knock sensors, but that's just my guess and I didn't bother asking why.

After all the runaround with Innovate Motorsports, I needed to just put this whole mess behind me for a while, and just let it sit and tuned out the matter so I could focus on other things. But I'm back now and full of "what do you think about..." questions for you guys, and hopefully I'll be better able to answer a few Qs thanks to my experience with the process.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Great question, with a long overdue answer. In a nutshell, it went poorly.

The software for the Innovate Motorsports Modular Tuning System was the worst software I've ever seen released with a product. It wasn't even a solid beta, let alone release. I'd call it alpha at best. I got months of "we'll have it fixed any day now" from Innovate until they finally admitted that they needed to do a complete re-write of the code and that it would be some time before that got that done. Ultimately, they suggested I use software from a different company, and I just thought - I'm done. I don't have any more time to invest in learning yet another piece of software. Ultimately, I had the bike dyno tuned and it's running much better, though Innovate's horrible software and months of false promises would up costing me hundreds of dollars in actual cost for a product that wasn't capable of being used as a tuning aid in the manner it was marketed to, and hundreds more dollars in opportunity cost for time I could have been used earning.

On the up side, I now have digital readout AFR gauges on my fairing dash so I know what's going on with the tune and can use those gauges to tweak the tune as I see fit. They dyno shop I used didn't exactly dial it in so there's room for improvement. It's too rich on decel in most RPM ranges, it's too fat under some cruise conditions, and too lean under some load conditions, but all in all, it's close enough to run damned well, over all. To my dismay, the tuner I used didnt tune ignition (beyond adding 6* at 100% throttle, ad 5* in six at-idle ranges. Consequently, I've had to do some detuning to get rid of knock under load in hot conditions. I suspect they don't tune ignition on these older bikes because they lack knock sensors, but that's just my guess and I didn't bother asking why.

After all the runaround with Innovate Motorsports, I needed to just put this whole mess behind me for a while, and just let it sit and tuned out the matter so I could focus on other things. But I'm back now and full of "what do you think about..." questions for you guys, and hopefully I'll be better able to answer a few Qs thanks to my experience with the process.
When you state “too rich” or “too lean” what are the a/f readings are you referring to?
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 06-14-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Z
Road Warrior

On the occasions when I've glanced to the gauges during decel, I saw numbers in the 12s.

Some operating ranges have a difference front to rear of +/- 0.5 (e.g., 14 front, 13.4 rear).

I have some load ranges that are in the 14s that I'd prefer to be low to mid 13s, and some cruise ranges running 12.5 that I'd rather see in around 14.

No big deal, I'll tune-out those issues over time.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Z
Road Warrior

And since you asked, here's a video I shot showing my gauges and my tablet computer taped to my tank for the process. I made a bunch of notes in the Description section of the video as well.

Last edited by Z; 06-14-2019 at 02:31 PM.