Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel gauge empty, tank has gas, won't start. 2004 FLSTC/I

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

OK B1005 is "Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open Instruments" with the U1016 "Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments " indicating that there is an issue with the sending unit in the tank, has anyone been in the tank? Has the connector on the tank under the console been connected? Both codes will be thrown if the connector is not connected and the fuel pump will not run. That connector goes to the fuel pump and the sending unit.

The following users liked this post:
Bartender (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
OK B1005 is "Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open Instruments" with the U1016 "Loss of ICM/ECM Serial Data Instruments " indicating that there is an issue with the sending unit in the tank, has anyone been in the tank? Has the connector on the tank under the console been connected? Both codes will be thrown if the connector is not connected and the fuel pump will not run. That connector goes to the fuel pump and the sending unit.
It's good to know there's meaning to these codes that popped up.
Where can I get a list of the codes? All the lists I've seen didn't have the codes I listed.

I don't think the tank was ever touched and all the connectors are connected.
Im guessing I need to get to the sending unit in the tank and also learn what that is, is this correct?

Old 11-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bartender

It's good to know there's meaning to these codes that popped up.
Where can I get a list of the codes? All the lists I've seen didn't have the codes I listed.

I don't think the tank was ever touched and all the connectors are connected.
Im guessing I need to get to the sending unit in the tank and also learn what that is, is this correct?
FuelMoto's website has most of the codes but Dr. Google helped with the B1005 code. First thing I would check is under the dash and ensure that the connector there is connected, this will provide power to the fuel pump and signal from the sending unit which is most likely your issue if you are getting these codes. Otherwise you may have a failed fuel level sending unit (this is a variable resistor attached to a fuel float inside of the tank) to check you could drain the fuel from the tank and check the resistance on pins 2 and 3, fill to 1/2 check again and fill the tank to full and check a third time. Below is from the 2005 Softail service manual but should be similar on other models. Additionally I would also check the fuel pump fuse and ensure that it isn't blown otherwise on the connector going to the tank panel under the dash I would check for the momentary 12vdc at the Pin 1 (Orange/Grey wire) to ground to see if it is getting power (easiest way of doing this is a 12vdc test light, connect 1 side to pin and the other to ground then switch to ign position light should light for 2 seconds if not you have other issues).

Last edited by Zanthamos; 11-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Bartender (11-10-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Bartender
Club Member

Okay,
My apologizes for not getting back with this. It's been a crazy week for me and I'm just getting the time to get back into this project.

This is is what's happening.
I opened the cover up on the top of the tank.
When I do this the fuel gauge works and the gas warning light goes off.
When I remount the cover (that seems to be difficult to get in place without forcing it) it stops working again. Right now I'm attempting to remove the fuel pump and take a look at what's going on in there. Seems to be some corrosion going on.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Got the fuel pump out. I'm guessing I'm going to need to replace just about everything in there. Even the hose to the tank broke off. Must have been very brittle.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Sending unit is definitely junk.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

As stated in post 10 - if bike sat for years with gas in it, pump and lines are junk.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Ooooh Nasty, this is not going to be cheap. I have seen some complete assemblies on Ebay for around $225 US but not many for the softails.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Ooooh Nasty, this is not going to be cheap. I have seen some complete assemblies on Ebay for around $225 US but not many for the softails.
The bad news.
Not cheap at all. Dealers were quoting me over 700.00 to replace everything and on top of that it's all on back order so I couldn't get one if I wanted to.

The good news. One showed up yesterday on eBay out of a 2004 fat boy for 200.00. According to ronnies parts list, everything is the same so that is being shipped out today. I couldn't be happier about that.

Got the tank cleaned out. I still need to change out all the fluids. I'm sure I'll find more that needs to be replaced before I'm done.

This is going to be a fun bike when all is done. I'm cleaning it up for my wife but I think I'll have to take it around the block a couple of times just to make sure everything is okay.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

I would replace the injectors.

Big Dave (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge empty, tank has gas, won't start. 2004 FLSTC/I