Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel gauge empty, tank has gas, won't start. 2004 FLSTC/I

Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Fuel gauge empty, tank has gas, won't start. 2004 FLSTC/I

I just acquired a 2004 FI Softail that won't start. The bikes been sitting for years. It has less than 500 miles on it.

This is what's happening.
The fuel gauge shows empty and the gas warning light is on but it has a half tank of fresh gas.
I found a thread that says that floats sticking on 2004 Softail were common but not sure if that's the issue.
Thread here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...n-t-start.html

The bike has an alarm that's seems to be working. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.
So far I've put fresh gas and a new battery in it.
I'm lost when it comes to Fuel injection and electrical. Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Old 11-07-2018, 02:15 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I would confirm the battery is fully charged and the cables, both +/- are tight at each end. Next check for DTC codes https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...e-codes-413169

For clarification when you state the bike wont start, does the starter engage and the motor turn over or you press the starter button the starter does not motor?

Last edited by mmesa005; 11-07-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:33 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartender
...This is what's happening.
The fuel gauge shows empty and the gas warning light is on but it has a half tank of fresh gas.
...Anyone know what might be causing this problem?
You will need to let us know what happens when you push the start switch, since you have already stated there is fuel in the tank.
Does the engine turn over?
If so, does it try to start? Pops but does start? Twisting the throttle while cranking change anything?
If not, do the lights come on?
Its hard enough to diagnose start/run issues on the internet...but it’s impossible to offer any valuable advice without knowing what the bike is actually doing, or not doing, while attempting to start it.
As much history and experiences with this bike may offer clues also.
Bob

Old 11-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Originally Posted by mmesa005
I would confirm the battery is fully charged and the cables, both +/- are tight at each end. Next check for DTC codes https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/a/h...e-codes-413169

For clarification when you state the bike wont start, does the starter engage and the motor turn over or you press the starter button the starter does not motor?
All cables are tight at both ends. Put new HD battery in yesterday and was on a trickle charger all night (fully charged)
I pulled up DTC codes this morning but haven't found any list of codes that resembles what showed up.

This is the list.
PSSPL

This is what showed up under P.
nonE
Pn 32919-04a

Under S
U 10 16
End
Pn 68923-00C

under SP
b 1005
CLEAr
pn 67033-04

under L
no r SP

Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

You will need to let us know what happens when you push the start switch, since you have already stated there is fuel in the tank.
Does the engine turn over?
If so, does it try to start? Pops but does start? Twisting the throttle while cranking change anything?
If not, do the lights come on?
Its hard enough to diagnose start/run issues on the internet...but it’s impossible to offer any valuable advice without knowing what the bike is actually doing, or not doing, while attempting to start it.
Bob
Thanks Bob,
Hope this helps.

Does the engine turn over? Yes.

If so, does it try to start? Pops but does start? Twisting the throttle while cranking change anything? No.

If not, do the lights come on? Yes. All lights working.

I agree,
I don't know much history of the bike other then the owner had no clue of what to do with it. The last time tags were put on it was 2011.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:48 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

This no-run started after you took the dash apart?
Are you sure you got the right wires plugged into the fuel pump and gage under the dash?
Bob

Old 11-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
This no-run started after you took the dash apart?
Are you sure you got the right wires plugged into the fuel pump and gage under the dash?
Bob
I've never seen the bike run.

Also,
All the fuses look good. I've switched system relay and start relay with an 01 FI Softail as well to make sure.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Bartender
Club Member

One thing I'm not hearing is what I believe is the fuel pump when I turn the bike on.
1) turn on ignition 2) push/start switch and no sound. I'm not getting that 2 second humm.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,515 Likes on 3,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartender
One thing I'm not hearing is what I believe is the fuel pump when I turn the bike on.
1) turn on ignition 2) push/start switch and no sound. I'm not getting that 2 second humm.
On an FI bike, that 2-second humm is the timer circuit in the relay to bring pressure up to 65 lbs. Then the pump only runs after the ECM gets enough hits from the crank position sensor. Usually running by then and the fuel pump runs all the time while running. It maintains that 65 lb pressure be it idle or WOT. There is a relief valve in the tank.

Remove the air filter cover and hit it with just a tad of gas spray with the throttle open or a small spray of starter fluid. Note, be careful. Just a few drops or a slight spray outside and see if it's hitting or it is a fuel problem. Be real careful. It can spit back.

Misread you are not getting the two-second timer. Remove console and check the connection at the tank.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-07-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 886 Likes on 621 Posts

+1 on putting a little gas in the throttle body.

Assuming no other problems not disclosed above,

If the bike sat for years with gas in it, the pump and lines are junk. Put a voltmeter to the connector that goes to the pump and look for 12V for a few seconds at key on. It will go away and then should come back when cranking.

If this is the case, you could do a voltage drop test but you will most likely find the tank needs to be opened.

Also, if it sat that long, it would be common to see deposits in the injectors that must be removed.

You can check for damp plugs and a quick check there is to have an operating pump. Install a fuel pressure gauge, crank and look for pressure (58-62 psi). Then disconnect pump electrical connector and crank. If injectors are opening AND flowing, pressure will drop. If they are not flowing, the pressure will stay the same or barely drop.

The following users liked this post:
Bartender (11-09-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel gauge empty, tank has gas, won't start. 2004 FLSTC/I