Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Wny do tuners marry to an ECM? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/1263779-wny-do-tuners-marry-to-an-ecm.html)

DaveAK 12-09-2018 11:16 PM

Wny do tuners marry to an ECM?

It seems that most if not all modern tuners marry themselves to a particular ECM and can't be used on other bikes, (or multiple bikes for multiple license fees). My question is what is the reasoning behind this? Is it something technical? Some kind of licensing requirement of Harley-Davidson? I can't believe it's purely a money grabbing policy from the tuner manufacturers, but I've been wrong before. I've done a fair bit of research on this and haven't come up with an answer, and I've not actually seen any one else ask the question. So does anyone have an answer that's not just speculation? Thanks!

For what it's worth I just purchased a V&H FP3 to tune up my 2017 Sportster Iron, knowing full well it was going to be bike specific. Looking at a full exhaust system, etc. but haven't decided on which yet. Yesterday I bought a 2017 Street Rod with 54 miles on it because the price was just too good to be passed up. Since I won't be able to get it on the road for another 5 months I really don't know what it rides like, but I'm not expecting I'll want to do any tuning on it if it's half way decent.

tgmotoman 12-10-2018 02:48 AM

money

Goose_NC 12-10-2018 03:05 AM

Money.

Andy from Sandy 12-10-2018 04:52 AM

The companies would only ever sell one or two.

The Dynojet would cost $550 and an additional license is about $200 = $750

If you can get 2 x FP3 for less then that is the way to go for price but not necessarily an apples to apples feature comparison.

joe40x 12-10-2018 05:54 AM

Did anybody mention money?

lonesum 12-10-2018 06:34 AM

$$$$$ and more $$$$$

marcodarq 12-10-2018 08:15 AM

the Powervision unit does have a licensing program. for the 200 dollar fee you can buy extra licenses that will allow it to work on more than one bike. the technoresearch direct link has a similar program. I'm not sure on the TTS Mastertune and their site is not loading at the moment.
m

The Doctor71 12-10-2018 08:41 AM

It's all speculation :) but follow the money.

In any language, the tuner is still just a computer. The computer code writers can write & do anything they want. Marrying or licensing the computer to the bike sells more, & eliminates the used marketplace (virtually no "used" e-bay sellers :)). Reminder..... typically, manufacturers do not directly profit from the "used" marketplace.

Bottom line..... marrying or licensing keeps the cash flow coming & arguably allows the manufacturer to remain solvent & viable.

rigidthumper 12-10-2018 08:51 AM

The developer of the software/hardware spent considerable time and resources to do so, and if the units were transferable, any dealership could buy 1 device,and then tune an unlimited # of bikes. There would never be enough $ for the original engineers to do any updates, or make payroll, for that matter. Would you spend millions to make hundreds?

DaveAK 12-10-2018 10:04 AM

So, I'm sensing you guys think it's all about the money. :) I still don't fully buy that argument, but I'm definitely outnumbered so far! Surely a professional tuning shop doesn't buy a new tuner for each bike, they must do it through licensing or some such mechanism, (or pay $5000 for their equipment instead of $500).