Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2009 Road King Classic FLHRC starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 AM
LV Rich
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Road King Classic FLHRC starter issue

This is probably a pretty common issue, but I haven't found my fix just yet.
I have a 2009 Road King Classic FLHRC.
My key fob is definitely recognized by the bike.
I insert the key and turn it to unlock, then I turn the lever/dial over to the 'IGN' position.
Lights turn on and everything seems fine.
Then I press the 'RUN' switch on the handlebar and I hear the bike turn on.
I wait a few seconds and then I push and hold the 'START' button on the handlebar.
This is where the bike would normally start after a couple cranks, but now the bike just makes clicking noises and it sounds painful.
The bike has been sitting in a garage for over 6 months with no ability to start. Can anyone suggest a fix or add insight, please?
I would like to learn to fix it myself, so i'd prefer to keep it in the garage and work on it, rather than seek a mechanic.
Thank you for your time.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Your battery died. Install a new, freshly charged battery and all will be well again...as long as there isn’t an issue inside the fuel tank from sitting.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
LV Rich (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 AM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Your battery died. Install a new....

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Your battery died. Install a new, freshly charged battery and all will be well again...as long as there isn’t an issue inside the fuel tank from sitting.
Bob
yup....that is more than likely the problem ...especially if the motor is real cold ..!!! (even hard on a good battery ) ...

The following users liked this post:
LV Rich (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 PM
LV Rich
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks alot for responding. I did put a trickle charger on the battery for almost 24 hours and the battery showed it was good, but i'm still getting the same result.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fuel getting to the engine, since it's been sitting. ?
Fuel is in the tank, but it's old.. I'll see if I can get a new battery. If that doesn't help my bike start, what would be the next step you would take?
I am fairly handy with things and I don't mind fixing it myself, if I can save a few bucks.
Thank you ahead of time for sharing the info.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Are you just getting a rapid click when start button is pressed?
If YES, then battery has some voltage but does not have sufficient amps to spin starter.
Having enough electrical energy to turn lights ON is different than having enough electrical energy to spin a high amperage draw item like a starter.
Note: While using some kinds of trickle chargers for 24 hours might bring a battery back, some brands will not charge a battery at all that is below 9 volts.
At this point a safe course of action would be to remove the battery, take battery to an automotive parts shop for a free battery testing.
In your case the automotive parts shop will probably charge battery first and then conduct a load test.
Basically you drop battery off and come back a couple of hours later and they hand you a little paper.
If battery is older than 3 years it is a high probability that battery will require replacement or is near replacement time but the load test would confirm.
Then once battery is installed you need to test charging system with a simple digital voltage meter to confirm voltage at battery posts at rest, while cranking and at high idle.
Check your area, most Batteries Plus Bulbs store can test the battery for you and most have the battery you need in stock.
They run online coupons for either $5 or 10% off sometimes too..
Hopefully you return and share your findings with others on forum.
DO NOT JUMP START FROM A RUNNING VEHICLE as electronics on bike can be damaged.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Are you just getting a rapid click when start button is pressed?
If YES, then battery has some voltage but does not have sufficient amps to spin starter.
Having enough electrical energy to turn lights ON is different than having enough electrical energy to spin a high amperage draw item like a starter.
Note: While using some kinds of trickle chargers for 24 hours might bring a battery back, some brands will not charge a battery at all that is below 9 volts.
At this point a safe course of action would be to remove the battery, take battery to an automotive parts shop for a free battery testing.
In your case the automotive parts shop will probably charge battery first and then conduct a load test.
Basically you drop battery off and come back a couple of hours later and they hand you a little paper.
If battery is older than 3 years it is a high probability that battery will require replacement or is near replacement time but the load test would confirm.
Then once battery is installed you need to test charging system with a simple digital voltage meter to confirm voltage at battery posts at rest, while cranking and at high idle.
Check your area, most Batteries Plus Bulbs store can test the battery for you and most have the battery you need in stock.
They run online coupons for either $5 or 10% off sometimes too..
Hopefully you return and share your findings with others on forum.
DO NOT JUMP START FROM A RUNNING VEHICLE as electronics on bike can be damaged.
+1 Great advice!
Bob

Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

beware the trickle chargers, i have had two go bad recently.

find a YOUTUBE video on how to take the battery out, and take & get it tested.

get on line/phone and start calling around, searching threads on here. most folks end up with an off brand battery from local metric bike store, like $130, i think advance has one for $130, IDK how much the dealer is now

bikes are easy to work on.