Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 noobie questions :)

Old 01-20-2019, 12:14 PM
donmontalvo
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default FP3 noobie questions :)

I had a Performance Machine air intake installed on my 2017 Dyna Street Bob, and it looks awesome.

Now that I have a FP3, figure its a good time to start tuning this bad boy, especially since its been running 1yr+ with Short Shot slip-ons.

So, I'm trying to figure out how this auto-tuner stuff works.

Now that I got the first auto-tune out of the way, and having confirmed subsequent tunes use the new mapping as a starting point, I'm unclear of:
  1. How can I have the tuner monitor my riding for, say, 2 weeks, to get the most rounded data, before flashing?
  2. How can I disable the "firmware check" that seems to kick in not only on every launch of the iOS app, but also every time I switch between apps.*
  3. Is it possible to share a picture of the front/rear map when I click the "Share" button?
  4. Is it possible to download the mapping, so I don't lose it (not even sure if it is stored with the iOS app data, or on the cloud under my account).
  5. Is there a Vance & Hines support forum? I can't seem to find one.
I asked V&H these questions, I'll post their response once it comes in (if they don't have a problem with it of course).

I plan to get V&N 2-into-1 Shorts pipes installed in the coming weeks, so this is a ramp up, to get up to speed on how this all works.

PS, if I haven't done so already, I really want to thank all the good folks on this forum for the incredible input!

Thanks,
Don

FWIW the first auto-tune I did yesterday

Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Coverdog
Tourer

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

#2 you can’t
#3 do a screen shot and save it to photos

this is a post from V&H
AutoTune
Introduction

One of the many benefits of the Fuelpak FP3 is the AutoTune feature. This feature allows users to precisely tune their motorcycle for their intake and exhaust combination, avoiding the costly and demanding dyno runs or the installation of additional equipment. AutoTune can also help international users tune their motorcycle for the specific fuel blends available in their area.
When to use it/not to use it:

AutoTune can be utilized where a Vance & Hines map is not provided or to further fine tune a specific intake and exhaust combination to the unique variations of an individual bike.
Most combinations can be cross referenced with one of numerous maps Vance & Hines provides. The AutoTune works best with an existing map from the Vance & Hines database. This will now utilize specifically tuned ignition tables, Accel Enrichment, Decel Enleanment, AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) Tables and Rev Limit changes, to facilitate calibrating the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) Tables. AutoTune calibrates the VE tables with a unique V&H developed algorithm for fast and accurate tuning.

How it works:

To understand how AutoTune works, the differences between calibrating a bike's ECM and tuning a motorcycle must be defined. The ECM knows what volume of air is flowing through the engine for the stock intake and exhaust systems. However, when the intake and/or exhaust systems change, the Volumetric Efficiency of the cylinders change. AutoTune properly calibrates the Volumetric Efficiency Tables by utilizing the high precision range of the the factory narrowband O2 sensors to target the optimum Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) of 14.4. When the bike is in AutoTune mode it monitors the difference of the O2 voltages above or below the 14.4 desired AFR. These differences are recorded, calculated and VE tables change. After calibration, the FP3 can change the AFR. For example, richer AFR can be selected for better power and engine running, or a leaner AFR in some areas during light loads and cruising for fuel economy.
While running AutoTune, FP3 is calculating VE Table/tables and other aspects of the ECM settings. Which comprise the tuning of the motorcycle. These changes are saved and not made in real time. Volumetric Efficiency ables are modified AFTER "Apply Learned Values" or "Finish" has been selected. Then flash the calibrated map to the ECM.

How to Use It:
Select a map to tune

When entering Autotune for the first time, you will need to select a map to start from. The maps listed are all the maps stored on your FP3. Choose the map and press continue.
Flashing the new map (what changes are made)
After selecting a starting map, the app loads this map to the autotune memory and prepares it for the autotuning session. Changes include setting the AFR table to closed loop everywhere and zeroing out the transient fueling. During the AutoTune process the Accel Enrichment and Decel Enleanment will be shut off to avoid erroneous readings. The overall riding experience is not optimized. This DOES NOT reflect the way the bike will run after the AutoTune tables have been populated with the learned values. This is only a temporary condition.

Recommendations for Best AutoTune Results

These changes are then flashed to the ECU (follow the on-screen prompts to complete the flashing operation). After flashing the Autotune map, the app presents a grid of white squares. You are now ready to ride and begin the tuning process. The bike will need to be warmed up to normal operating temperature (approx 200 deg F) before autotune will begin. As you ride, the squares will turn orange or green. White squares are completely unlearned cells. Orange indicates partially learned. Green squares are completely learned. Once a square turns green, the learning for that cell is complete and additional riding in that zone will not refine the learned value. You do not need to keep your phone on and the FP3 app active during the autotune process. However, if you have a way to display the screen while riding, it can be informative to see areas that are learned and what other areas you need to cover. The FP3 unit will need to be plugged into the bike for autotuning to occur. Do not be concerned if you need to turn the bike off - the FP3 will pick up the tuning process once the engine is restarted and the engine is up to temperature.
Riding recommendations (what to expect and what the map will look like. What you can and can’t do in the app.)
When riding during the autotune process, you will want to cover as many different throttle angle and rpm combinations as possible. You will not want to use cruise control. Ride up and down some hills in addition to stop-and-go traffic and freeway miles. Avoid abrupt throttle changes so the FP3 can adequately sample each cell. Try to cover as many of the cells as is possible, but there is no need (nor is it even possible) to cover every cell. Most riders can get good results in three 30-45 minute sessions of riding. All cells do not need to be green to have a complete autotune session. Normal Autotune session will show mostly green with 25-30% orange. The shape of the colored cells in the Autotune grid should resemble a football shape. Low throttle positions/low rpm (top left) to high throttle positions/high rpm (bottom right). See below for an example (results may vary).

While the FP3 is in the autotune mode, you will not be able to access certain portions of the app. You will not be able to view/edit maps nor will you be able to search for a new map.
Once FP3 has learned a number of cells, you can “apply” or “finish” the autotuning session. When you first ride the bike in autotune be aware that the characteristics are often quite different so start out slowly.

Applying the changes
If you “apply” the autotuning values, a new map is created and flashed to the bike. Follow the on-screen dialogs during this process. After applying the learned values, the FP3 remains in Autotune mode and will continue to learn. The “apply” function should only be used if you will immediately be starting another autotune session. If you are done riding for the day or have completed your second autotune session you should complete the autotuning session by “finishing” the session.
Finishing Autotune
Finishing the Autotune session applies any learned values (just like in the apply process) and also returns the AFR table and transient fuel to their original values. This new, final map is then flashed to the bike (follow the on-screen dialogs to complete this process). FP3 is then taken out of Autotune mode. After the VE Tables have been calibrated and saved to the map, the AFR tables can be tailored to individual rider preference or better developed by dyno pros. The AFR tables of a Vance & Hines map have been set to a custom blend offering a combination of WOT performance and part throttle economy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Coverdog:
donmontalvo (01-23-2019), Sideburn (01-11-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Coverdog
Tourer

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

There was an app update today as well and a manual is now on the app with it.

The following users liked this post:
donmontalvo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by donmontalvo
I had a Performance Machine air intake installed on my 2017 Dyna Street Bob, and it looks awesome.

Now that I have a FP3, figure its a good time to start tuning this bad boy, especially since its been running 1yr+ with Short Shot slip-ons.

So, I'm trying to figure out how this auto-tuner stuff works.

Now that I got the first auto-tune out of the way, and having confirmed subsequent tunes use the new mapping as a starting point, I'm unclear of:
  1. How can I have the tuner monitor my riding for, say, 2 weeks, to get the most rounded data, before flashing?
  2. How can I disable the "firmware check" that seems to kick in not only on every launch of the iOS app, but also every time I switch between apps.*
  3. Is it possible to share a picture of the front/rear map when I click the "Share" button?
  4. Is it possible to download the mapping, so I don't lose it (not even sure if it is stored with the iOS app data, or on the cloud under my account).
  5. Is there a Vance & Hines support forum? I can't seem to find one.
I asked V&H these questions, I'll post their response once it comes in (if they don't have a problem with it of course).

I plan to get V&N 2-into-1 Shorts pipes installed in the coming weeks, so this is a ramp up, to get up to speed on how this all works.

PS, if I haven't done so already, I really want to thank all the good folks on this forum for the incredible input!

Thanks,
Don

FWIW the first auto-tune I did yesterday
Auto tune is a function that works well when you are adapting custom components that current MAPS don't support. V&H has done extensive work in developing maps for many various combinations you might go with in your build. When setting up my bike, I had some of these very same questions you present. After a call to V&H customer support, a tech strongly advised against using autotune, since I was using components that current Maps already support. Simply select from the menu what you have and pair it with the bike. V&H also has newer MAPS that are not programed on the FP3. If that is the case, such as the cam I am installing now, they will send you the map. I would recommend calling V&H and speaking directly to a tech and not waiting for them to respond to your e-mail

donmontalvo (01-31-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridetothehill
Auto tune is a function that works well when you are adapting custom components that current MAPS don't support. V&H has done extensive work in developing maps for many various combinations you might go with in your build. When setting up my bike, I had some of these very same questions you present. After a call to V&H customer support, a tech strongly advised against using autotune, since I was using components that current Maps already support. Simply select from the menu what you have and pair it with the bike. V&H also has newer MAPS that are not programed on the FP3. If that is the case, such as the cam I am installing now, they will send you the map. I would recommend calling V&H and speaking directly to a tech and not waiting for them to respond to your e-mail
I think I talked to the same tech yesterday and he told me not to auto tune. I only have slip ons and a k&n.

donmontalvo (01-31-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1
I think I talked to the same tech yesterday and he told me not to auto tune. I only have slip ons and a k&n.
Yeah, the tech’s prolly right. No need to get your bike running any better than it runs right now. IMO get as far away from that tech as possible and find a tech that actually knows what he/she is talking about. Since autotuning merely corrects for production variations and mods there is NO DOWNSIDE to it...other than the time and effort to do so.
Bob

donmontalvo (01-31-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Gary1
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

Yeah, the tech’s prolly right. No need to get your bike running any better than it runs right now. IMO get as far away from that tech as possible and find a tech that actually knows what he/she is talking about. Since autotuning merely corrects for production variations and mods there is NO DOWNSIDE to it...other than the time and effort to do so.
Bob
He told me to run their map setup based on my exhaust and the FP3 tuner will start tuning from there. He said that it takes about a tank full of gas to have the bike fully tuned. These tech. support guys talk to folks all day long regarding their tuner and I am sure they know what they are talking about.

Last edited by Gary1; 01-23-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: change
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary1:
donmontalvo (01-31-2019), Ridetothehill (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I believe you are a bit confused. First you stated the tech advised NOT to auto tune then you mentioned the FP3 will tune from there...which requires auto tuning.
Bob

donmontalvo (01-31-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

lol, autotune still not working but it's ok, just run a tank or two through it and (hopefully) the long term fuel adjustments might fix it. Why do we keep hearing this stuff

donmontalvo (01-31-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Gary1
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
I believe you are a bit confused. First you stated the tech advised NOT to auto tune then you mentioned the FP3 will tunIe from there...which requires auto tuning.
Bob
Auto Tune is a different FP3 function. I think you know the difference, but if you don't than you shouldn't be discussing a FP3 topic here.

Last edited by Gary1; 01-23-2019 at 12:56 PM.
donmontalvo (01-31-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FP3 noobie questions :)