Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Are all EFIs created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,000 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by No H2O
Thinking of converting my carb'ed chopper to EFI with an aftermarket kit.
The $2k price tag is gonna feel like a kick in the dick but I need the bike to start in cold weather when I don't have access to an outlet to plug in a heating lamp.
The 2001 Fat Boy is the first year of EFI for that model and it fires up in single digits without complaint.
Wondering if any EFI is going to fire the bike right up no matter the temperature or are some aftermarket EFIs better than others?
You'd be better off adding electric start. Save displaying your kick starting prowess for summertime.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

mr. king, please re-read the post. i did not say carbs are crap, just when carbs were crap. carbs came a long way and it is only recent that efi got mastery over them. one of the worst in memory that came up quickly was the amal i had on my brit machines, PTA. it seems also that rice carbs were superior to usa varieties, one of the best upgrades to my 74ch was a mikuni vm38, still kicking today.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

What I hear is a battery that has been left sitting (sulfating) without a tender. As mentioned earlier the battery doesn’t get fully recharged after a lengthy cold start. Then left to sit and sulfate some more before the next cold start event comes around.
YOU CANNOT ASSUME THE ALTERNATOR WILL RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY. The alternator keeps a charged battery topped off.
Remove the battery when not riding for a week or longer so you can take it to an electrical outlet to charge/maintain.
You have a big engine to crank over so you need all the advatages a fully charged and tested battery with good quality cables and connections.
Once you have that nailed down if the bike doesn’t fire right up full choke and 2-3 accelerator squirts (verified by looking into the carb when twisting the throttle) you have a tuning issue.
Bob

Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

MY FAULT, SO SOOR SORR SOR SORRY.....

Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 AM
No H2O
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
What I hear is a battery that has been left sitting (sulfating) without a tender. As mentioned earlier the battery doesn’t get fully recharged after a lengthy cold start. Then left to sit and sulfate some more before the next cold start event comes around.
YOU CANNOT ASSUME THE ALTERNATOR WILL RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY. The alternator keeps a charged battery topped off.
Remove the battery when not riding for a week or longer so you can take it to an electrical outlet to charge/maintain.
You have a big engine to crank over so you need all the advatages a fully charged and tested battery with good quality cables and connections.
Once you have that nailed down if the bike doesn’t fire right up full choke and 2-3 accelerator squirts (verified by looking into the carb when twisting the throttle) you have a tuning issue.
Bob
The battery is on a tinder overnight.
Doing 4/5 pre-start throttle twists (instead of my usual 2) helped a lot this morning but then again it was just below freezing, not single digits.
There will be times that I won't be able to get the bike on a tinder overnight (when I don't have access to a power source) but I would have ridden the day before.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

If the bike tries to turn over then reverts to clicking sound your battery isn’t powerful enough to turn over the engine.
Folks who think if they put a tender on a low battery it will fully recharge it are kidding themselves and will continue to have starting issues.
Bob

Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 PM
No H2O
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
If the bike tries to turn over then reverts to clicking sound your battery isn’t powerful enough to turn over the engine.
Folks who think if they put a tender on a low battery it will fully recharge it are kidding themselves and will continue to have starting issues.
Bob
Battery is a Deka ETX20L 310 CCA 12V/20A.
Date of Mfg 7/2018 installed on 8/1/2018.
Engine is 107ci S&S.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:28 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member

To better understand why your newish battery may not be ok anymore. Take a read on sulfation https://www.crownbattery.com/news/su...ry-maintenance and how it possibly applies to your situation.
Especially the last sentence of the article.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 01-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

your bike is especially prone to issues with the battery. you need the Yuasa GYZ series battery. are your compression release valves functioning properly? this is very important and should be confirmed. batteries are sensitive to temperature. even if you do not have access to a tender where you park the bike, you might need to remove the battery and take it inside with you when you get home and keep it's temp up overnight, then take it back out and put it in before you ride. I know this sounds like a pain in the ***, but you have to remember that you did not buy a bike with anywhere near as much R&D put into it as a modern FI H-D. It was never meant to deal with the sort of conditions that you describe, I don't care what your salesman or any rep from BIG DOG cares to say. I've been working with BDM since their very first bikes came out and in their hayday to their factory serveral times for addtional Factory training. It's a fair weather bike, not an everyday rider.
m

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 AM
No H2O
Cruiser

Originally Posted by marcodarq
your bike is especially prone to issues with the battery. you need the Yuasa GYZ series battery. are your compression release valves functioning properly? this is very important and should be confirmed. batteries are sensitive to temperature. even if you do not have access to a tender where you park the bike, you might need to remove the battery and take it inside with you when you get home and keep it's temp up overnight, then take it back out and put it in before you ride. I know this sounds like a pain in the ***, but you have to remember that you did not buy a bike with anywhere near as much R&D put into it as a modern FI H-D. It was never meant to deal with the sort of conditions that you describe, I don't care what your salesman or any rep from BIG DOG cares to say. I've been working with BDM since their very first bikes came out and in their hayday to their factory serveral times for addtional Factory training. It's a fair weather bike, not an everyday rider.
m
I'll take out the battery if it means the bike will start.
A reputable Big Dog tech told me the first thing he does to any Big Dog is replace the battery with a Harley Battery since the Harley batteries have a casing that prevents leakage and it's the leakage that ruins the EHC.
Is there a version of the Yuasa GYZ battery that has this Harley casing that prevents leakage?

The compression release valves are working properly.

I would love to trade the Big Dog in for an HD since my HD fires right up in frigid weather and that's with the first year EFI, the Big Dog just looks so much better.

Quick Reply: Are all EFIs created equal?